PDA

View Full Version : 18 x 36 swimming pool

start2finish
06-06-2006, 10:38 PM
A project we are working on.

start2finish
06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
just a few more, we hope to have water in this by the end of the week.

cedarcroft
06-07-2006, 06:04 AM
the difference in soil in other parts of the country amazes me. we got it good here on LI. if you dig more than 3 feet, you usually hit sand. we have very little clay so digging is EASY.
pool looks good, update us when the water/liner is in

hoskm01
06-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Explain the metal frame and liner concept! Is that the entire liner for the pool, or is there something else to it. We are all shotcrete and plaster/pebble tec here. Just curious on the differing building styles. Are you building the whole pool yourselves or just doing the digging?

Mike33
06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
just a few more, we hope to have water in this by the end of the week.
I go to charlotte every year for nascar, always noticed the color of your dirt. Is it a clay based? How does your top soil run? We have river bottom real black, or field dirt brown.
Mike

start2finish
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
we are doing the whole pool, as for the liner, the walls are assembled wit ha coping strip at the top to hold the liner. The bottom is dressed to specs and a 2 inch layer of portland cement and vermiculite is applied. This is between the liner and the dirt.

as for the clay is varies, most of the time it is red clay which is good for compaction, but there is sand 60 miles east of here, and topsoil can be 2 foot deep or 2 inches depends on any grading or location as well. We also have yellow clay which is useless and wet natured. oh yeah plenty of rock.

neversatisfiedj
06-07-2006, 09:19 PM
What are you hand digging for when you have a mini-x on the site ?

start2finish
06-07-2006, 09:56 PM
the hopper and transition walls require presicion +or- 1/2 inch. includes depth and location. they are on angles that the geometry of a hoe will not allow perfect digs. We use the mini-ex along side hand labor to simplify the job. In some of the photos the mini is busy on the other end of pool digging or the operator(myself) is in the truck hauling off the excess. I wish there was an easier way, but how the dirt is shaped is the shape of the finished project. Also the walls, bottom, and edges CANNOT be overdug. The excavation has to be exact. example the back wall of the hopper falls 5foot 3 inches over 4 feet. steep is not the word. distance from top of wall to flat bottom hopper is 8foot 3 inches. the vinyl liner is made to perfectly fit a finished and coated hole. If the hole is too shallow anywhere then there are wrinkles that will tarnish the job forever. if the hole is too deep then the liner is too small. Now the liner will stretch within reason, but you cannot stretch it in one spot with out making wrinkles. tedious work.

start2finish
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
we are pouring the concrete collar for the pool walls in these photos. Now all is left is plumbing, coating the bottom and walls, and installing the liner. Hope to have this thing full of water and backfilled by the weekend.

And yes thats one of us in the oak tree!!!!!!

pondfishr
06-09-2006, 02:20 AM
It looks like you are well on your way to a beautiful installed pool. It is a ton of work but they are worth it in the end, I installed one last year at my home the same size 18X36. The pool kit I used was manufactured by Fort Wayne Pools.

I poured my slab before I installed the bottom so we could keep the bottom clean when the liner was installed and it made it easier to wheel the mortor mix around to where it was needed. I had a little trouble with the plumbing the concrete guy filled one of my skimmers up with mud and we had a real mess brewing. Fortunately with a shop vac, water, and a little luck we were able to avoid clogged pipes. A couple of bucks for duck tape covering the skimmer pipe terminations is a great investment prior to concrete. I also backfilled my entire pool with 3/4 gravel to help support the plumbing and aid drainage around the pool. We also treated the pool bottom for termites. Believe it or not there are cases where they eat the vinyl liners. Sounds weird but I did not want to take and chances.

I have a Microsoft Project WBS "task list" file that details most of the steps amd cost. If you are interested PM me and I will be happy to send it out in an email.

pondfishr
06-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Here are a couple of pics at the start and one finished product from last year.

hoskm01
06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
start to finish,
would like to see more in progress pics of your project if you dont mind. Pouring walls and sidings, plumbing, etc... Thinking about taking on the GC of a pool for myself at the new house in a year or two. Thanks.

harryhomeowner
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Me too! I'm thinking of buying one of those fiberglass prefab pools.

start2finish
06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
ok here are a few more

start2finish
06-11-2006, 08:21 PM
we still have grading left to do and the electrial work has to be performed, but the pool is constructed.

start2finish
06-14-2006, 05:47 PM
had the sales rep come out to check things before the backfill and had to reroute my plumbing. If anyone attempts this type of project make sure to elbow down after leaving the returns. The way it is piped in the above photo adds a stress point to the PVC pipe and had to be corrected.

pondfishr
06-14-2006, 11:31 PM
He is absolutely right. The way you had it routed accross you risked the possibility of stress on the pipes resulting in broken lines. I would recommend that you 90 degree all pipes down to the top of the concrete collar and run them on a solid surface. You can even spread a small layer of sand under the pipes for a cushion.

Branching Out
06-15-2006, 08:27 PM
the difference in soil in other parts of the country amazes me. we got it good here on LI. if you dig more than 3 feet, you usually hit sand. we have very little clay so digging is EASY.
pool looks good, update us when the water/liner is in

Hey Cedar. I am originally from Huntington too. And let me tell you, there is a TON of clay in your area. Ever hear of Clay Pitts Road. I recently took over 110 yards of clay soil out, to do a 1200 sf ft drive. TAlk about tucking fees. I am glad that I include a line in my proposal about it. And I recommend you do to.

Ronnie

hoskm01
06-16-2006, 12:42 PM
TAlk about tucking fees. I am glad that I include a line in my proposal about it. And I recommend you do to.

Yeah, those tucking fees are a real problem these days...;)

Good lookin pool man, nice work. If you dont mind divulging, whats the cost and time on this project? Materials and labor etc...

start2finish
06-17-2006, 11:04 AM
materials cost about $10,000.00
four man crew 71 hours (not manhours but 6, twelve hour days)

excavator (15 hours)
truck (10 hours)

jazak
06-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Post some pics of the pavers/landscaping around the pool please. Thats a nice little pool, my buddy just got one done about twice the size and in the shape of a tear drop.

start2finish
06-18-2006, 08:30 PM
concrete later this week and the landscaping is going to be minimal, mostly seeding and a pvc fence. Landscaping is Phase II

start2finish
06-25-2006, 11:32 PM
concrete decking is finished, no pictures yet, I am drawing up and laying out a versa-lok retaining wall with 5 foot tall 2x2 columns (7) and coach lights on top. This is in the planning stages I hope to incorporate some type of wrought iron fence between the columns for security/saftey. code requires 48'' fencing around pool. I will update soon.

sunray
10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Nice pool, I just finished removing one constructed just like that.
It did not have the concrete apron around the bottom of the side wall,just back filled clay.
It had been in since 1983 and was as solid as the day it was put in.
I have a couple of pool removal pics of the pool on here.