PDA

View Full Version : Best Machine??

emil35
06-07-2006, 12:09 AM
I looking into growing my current lawn care business into a full landscape company offering design, construction and maintenance. For my first machine to get into the landscaping what would you recommend getting?

- TORO Dingo (track unit)
- Skid Steer (preferabilty a track unit such as ASV Posi-track or CAT)
- Tractor (Kubota, etc?)

What would you get? I'd like to get something that would have a good return on investment, be versible, etc. Pretty much a good well rounded machine to get started with. Also, money is somewhat of an issue seeing that I'll be branching out into something new, so maybe that that into consideration as well on your recommendation. Thanks again for your input!

Fordsuvparts
06-07-2006, 02:11 AM
I would stay away from the cat 247 it is built to light and you will be replacing boggies all the time, the track system is from asv so both of these machines have a very similar design. The cat tends to tip fairly easy to the front as well, especialy when unloading pallets. We upgraded to the Bobcat T190 and it is a great machine, it is much quicker than the cat.
I have a 2006 430 Mini, a 2006 T190 gold package, and a 1999 New Holland Lx665 Turbo. The new holland (2800 hours currently) is the best machine i have ever used or rented. We have bought several attachments over the last 5 years or so and everthing works on both of the skid loaders. The power rake was a big investment but it is a huge money maker for us. We have a grapple bucket, 2 sets of forks, 3 different buckets one with teeth, a auger is a must have if you do any tree planting. We have had to buy a few extra bits for it and they aren't cheap.

When we started in business we found the Lx665 for 13,500 in 2000 with the trailer, forks, auger and 2 buckets. It was a steal, the guy who had it was going under and had to sell it or loose it to the repo man. Most of the used equipment and trucks i have bought over the last few years is from a new business coming in and spending a ton of money on equipment before they had there businees estabished and going broke the first year or so.

Don't go out and spend $45,000 on your first machine, find a nice used one and work your way into a new machine in a few years, try and find another company that is going broke and you could make out like a bandit. If you can go with a tracked machine you won't be sorry. We can drive into a wet yard with the bobcat and drill holes for tree's, then come back with forks and set the tree in the hole and you would never know we had been in the grass. you can't do that very well with a tired machine. Just my long 2 cents.

emil35
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advice! Anyone else? I'm looking all over for good deals on used equipment so we'll see what happens