PDA

View Full Version : Mulching Kit for Exmark 48" Metro

KevMel
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm trying to decide whether it is worth buying a mulching kit for my mower and am interested in hearing any testimonials from Exmark owners. I've got about a 3/4 acre area to mow and I've been cutting without the bagger, but the clumping is a problem. My thought is that mulching would save lots of time and help the lawn by working the nutrients from the clippings back into it. Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Pittsburgh Panther
06-07-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm trying to decide whether it is worth buying a mulching kit for my mower and am interested in hearing any testimonials from Exmark owners. I've got about a 3/4 acre area to mow and I've been cutting without the bagger, but the clumping is a problem. My thought is that mulching would save lots of time and help the lawn by working the nutrients from the clippings back into it. Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I like using the excalibur mulching blades. I tried the gator blades and they didn't work as well. I am assuming that your walk behind is similar to my CT 48".

lenster
06-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I have the Exmark Metro 48. I bought it last March.
I purchased a mulch kit last august but only to use in the fall for leaves. I tried it this year at the begining of the season to use the mulck kit but the grass (tall fescue) gets too thick when we have a good weather for grass growth. Besides the grass buildup under the deck was too much and it would shoot out clumps from underneath the deck. I ended removing the mulch kit and will put it back on when the grass growth slows. I did like using it though. It's nice not to worry about your cutting direction/trimmings discharge in flower beds etc. I am mowing with the side dicahrge now and do not have any clumping issues. I have standard exmark blades. Not much grass buld up underneath the deck with side discharge. I do clean under the deck regularly.

Lenster

Pittsburgh Panther
06-08-2006, 12:01 PM
If you didn't I wonder if this would of helped. Is your deck the Tri-vantage deck? I did get some build up but not alot. I have a perenial rye and blue grass mix. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

lenster
06-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I purchased the kit new so I used the blades which came with the kit. I have read about this deck build up in another thread due to grass type. The tall fescue grass can get very thick and dense (carpet like) so when you mow the grass really has no where to discharge because the deck is designed to push the grass down towards the ground. I have a 2004 mower which I beleive is the tri-vantage deck. I purchased the mower in March of 05 so I had a chance to use the kit late summer last year (purchased the kit late summer of o5) and tried to use it in the begining of this year but once we received all of the rain the grass grew too thick to manage with the mulch kit.
So I took the kit off untill the fall and will reinstall it for fall grass growth and leaf mulching. If we have a dryer summer I may put it back on though.

Lenster

Ron's Lawncare
06-08-2006, 06:09 PM
it works well when you can keep on top of the grass. it works much better with the mamba gator blades than it does with regular mulching blades.on spring growth it dosen't work well. i take mine off for the spring and put it back on in july.

Ron