PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for retaining wall please...

dandrews
06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
We are building a dry stack wall with LARGE 2-4 foot boulders as a retaining wall on our property. We are on a hill known for it's underground springs (Battle Ground) and I am wondering if we should put filter fabric, drain pipe and drain gravel behind the wall to assist in drainage. Is this necessary? Thanks!

MarcusLndscp
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I'd say this depends on the height of your wall, the batter if any, is it a true wall or just boulders set far back into grade? A pipe is cheap insurance on any wall but if it's not too large of a wall just backfill with clean stone and water will percolate through the dry laid boulders if you're not setting them too tight. Filter fabric will keep you stone clean and keep soil from washing through the face of the wall

M RASCOE&SONS
06-07-2006, 07:13 PM
take some pics and i will try to help..

Mike33
06-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I agree with the one post. 100' 4" pref. pipe 39.00. That is also called my $ 39.00 ins. policy.
Mike

dandrews
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
The wall will be a dry stack wall with a slight batter for strength. I am not worried about the soil coming through the wall a little. I am going to plant plants in the wall and make it look old and English. I am trying to keep erosion down and make sure that the soil will not slide down the hill.

richallseasons
06-07-2006, 11:00 PM
it sounds to me like you know the answer already,better that you do a little more than not enough and have to do it twice right?