PDA

View Full Version : kill tall fescue

bobocmp
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I have bermuda grass and tall fescue mixed in. Is there a way to kill the tall fescue and keep the bermuda?

NickN
06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Spot spray each clump with Round-Up.When it dies,the bermuda will take over.

Nosmo
06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
As hot as it is getting the fescue may not tolerate being cut as short as the recommended height for bermuda.

You might be able to get rid of it by lowering your cutting height to below 2".

Nosmo

muddstopper
06-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Best way I have seen to kill fescue is to plant it in some of my customers lawns. LOL

jeffinsgf
06-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Bayer "Revolver" will kill cool season grasses but not warm season grasses. I used it to kill fescue in my zoysia. It is a restricted herbicide that is supposed to be applied by a licensed operator only. I convinced the supplier that I knew how to read lablels, mix chemicals and apply at recommended rates, and they sold it to me. You could try that or find an applicator that will work with you. They may not know about Revolver. It is expensive, but it works quick and won't leave brown patches in your yard that will take forever to fill back in.

hmartin
06-17-2006, 06:16 PM
wait till the bermuda goes dormant in early winter and spray round-up. The bermuda will not be affected.

MannyEdge
07-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I want to kill the bermuda grass and not the fescue. Can I do that?

dfischer
07-15-2006, 11:19 AM
you must not have tall fescue, as you'd not be wanting to keep it...

MannyEdge
07-17-2006, 08:40 AM
you must not have tall fescue, as you'd not be wanting to keep it...

I guess I am not following you. I have tall fescue and I do not want bermuda. I hope that explains it better since you were confused. Most people in my area do not want the bermuda.

lawnspecialties
07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
I have bermuda grass and tall fescue mixed in. Is there a way to kill the tall fescue and keep the bermuda?

Just maintain your lawn for a warm season program. Cut it low, fertilize in May and July with high nitrogen, and give it nothing in the cool season. Maybe spray the Round-up like Nick said on a warm fall or winter day. Those conditions will certainly run off fescue, especially during those hot SC summers. I've had great success with this.