PDA

View Full Version : Scag Tiger Cub

DJL50
06-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Looking at a Scag Tiger Cub 48" 19hp Kaw. Found a dealer with an 05 model for $5,700. Looks like a good price. Said the 06 model has a new deck. The 05 model has a problem with grass clumping when cut wet. For home use I don't think it would be a problem. Anyone own one and what do you think of it.

Scag413
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I have that exact mower except it is an 04 model. As far as clumping, the only problem I have had is when it was extremely wet and the grass was taller than it usually was when I mow it. That was a one time problem. The deck needed cleaning before I mowed that yard anyway so it was mainly my fault. When it is really wet and the grass has grown at its usual rate it does fine as long as you slow it down a bit. It is a great mower and that is a fair price for it.

ed2hess
06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
For home use I don't think it would be a problem.
Ours is the 04 model and it clumps when wet, but I wouldn't pass up a good deal, these Scag units are great. It is hard for me to understand how any deck could be designed so that no clumps occur when it is wet. There are so many factors such as what blades are being used and speed. Buy the unit!

Fro
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
i just bought a 05 cub myself this spring. i havn't had a problem with it yet and am very happy with it. It does a great job and i gave the same price for mine.

DJL50
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
i just bought a 05 cub myself this spring. i havn't had a problem with it yet and am very happy with it. It does a great job and i gave the same price for mine.
Thanks for the message. How much grass do you cut with it?

TriplePLandscaping
06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
i was leaning toward that same unit till my dealer got me a killer price for my ferris, plus i got a bigger engine:)

Fro
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
I'll cut about 18 to 20 acres a week with mine. I have a very new and green opperation that i just started this year but i have run alot of other equiptment over the years and this rig is my favorite considering its size. I get plenty of compliments and it does a very good job.

DJL50
06-13-2006, 12:49 AM
After doing some research I thought I would post what I found. The 05 48" tiger Cub had a problem with the belts breaking. I guess the problem was so bad they redesigned the deck and belt pulleys and had to repair the units sold. So If you get one make sure the upgrade has been done. The original unit was a single belt unit from the engine to the deck. The upgrade unit is a two belt system. One from the motor to the deck. Another on the deck spindles. I have been told If you have one of the original units they will fix it under warranty.

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
DJL I have the model you described. I have broken a few belts. I am bringing mine to the dealer to ask him about the upgrade. As far a clumping when wet I solved my problem by spraying PAM once a week under the deck. WORKS GREAT!!!!

DJL50
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
DJL I have the model you described. I have broken a few belts. I am bringing mine to the dealer to ask him about the upgrade. As far a clumping when wet I solved my problem by spraying PAM once a week under the deck. WORKS GREAT!!!!
I went to one dealer and asked about the belt problem and said they never heard of it. Went around back and asked the guy in the shop and he said "oh Yes" What a PITA to do the fix" but said the "fix" solves the problem. Have to give Scag credit for fixing a know design defect but was afraid to go with that model myself. I just purchased a Toro Z master 400.

steve45
06-26-2006, 03:57 PM
$5700 sounds like list price to me for an '05 model. Actually, they were $6200, but Scag came out with a factory incentive halfway through the season.

burroughslawnservice
06-26-2006, 05:01 PM
After doing some research I thought I would post what I found. The 05 48" tiger Cub had a problem with the belts breaking. I guess the problem was so bad they redesigned the deck and belt pulleys and had to repair the units sold. So If you get one make sure the upgrade has been done. The original unit was a single belt unit from the engine to the deck. The upgrade unit is a two belt system. One from the motor to the deck. Another on the deck spindles. I have been told If you have one of the original units they will fix it under warranty.

I sent SCAG an email after reading your post. I was concerned although I haven't had any troubles. The representative called me within an hour. He stated that a very small percentage had this trouble and most suffered within 8 hours of operation. So, if your not having trouble you most likely won't. I was told that if I do have trouble in the future they would repair it under warranty. He also said that the belt/deck design was the same for 2002, 2003 and 2004 models. SCAG has been real good at responding to my questions. I couldn't ask for better customer service.:usflag:

TURF DOCTOR
06-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Typical for scag problem's and they are fixed.