PDA

View Full Version : Price For Rock Install

Husky03
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I do a lot of mulch work, but very little rock work. I usually charge around $40 per yard of mulch depending on the size of the job. How do you charge for rock? I have a very small job: 1/2 ton of Burghandy Lava rock over 191 sq. ft. What do you guys charge per ton? Also, what kind of delivery charges should I get for rock?

Thanks...

hoskm01
06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Probably different there in IN, but here, we do A TON of rock work, pardon the pun. Anything over 10 tons is delivered for free by the dealer, obviously doesn’t apply in your case. The most they charge is $40 to deliver any size, anywhere, so I wouldn’t go any higher than that, 20 for anything over 5 tons. We might pay 26-30 per ton for something like you are installing, and would charge about twice that to install it. Obviously your situation is different; we usually don’t go any lower than maybe 5 tons at a time, on an extremely small job. 1/2 ton over 191 square feet isn’t going to give you much coverage. What is the application, what kind of surface are you looking to achieve?

This is all relevant to the job, so look at your situation and determine what it will take YOU to get it done. Last major one I did was 145 tons, 4 different varieties, 6 trucked deliveries, discount on the rock for volume and not a penny to deliver every pound if it right where I wanted it. In that case, only cost maybe 7-8 per ton to spread based on tractor use and volume pricing. 1/2 ton might take you 20 min by yourself, if that, considering distance to drop of course.

tthomass
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
whats the price of the rock? how many miles you driv'n?

i'd throw in $50 for the truck, gas/wear and tear..........say the rock is $40 ton (i don't know)...........well you can't buy 1/2 tons so like $125 for the job if you can be in and out quick..............less if its a current customer

Husky03
06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I am buying the rock from a local rock place where I also rent a dump truck to haul it. They only charge $12.50 for the truck rental, but the rock cost $113.50 for a 1/2 ton. They do sell it by the 1/2 ton here. I have checked out just getting bagged rock for such a small job because it ends up being quite a bit cheaper, but then I have to haul it in my truck and it does not look as good as the rock they sell at the other rock place. The customer also has seen the rock at the rock place and she knows the cost of it and she said she liked the look of it. Right now I am figuring the entire job will take 1.5 hours including all drive time. I am probably only going to charge $60-80 labor for the job. It's easy. I need to know for the future what you guys charge for rock installs.:)

tthomass
06-08-2006, 11:05 PM
yeah mine was a little off haha..........I can buy small River Jack at one nursery for $120 (retail) or go 10 miles from them and pay $35 (retail) for River Stone....both same thing....rock pricing doesn't make sense sometimes

hoskm01
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
They only charge $12.50 for the truck rental, but the rock cost $113.50 for a 1/2 ton.

Holy mother of god, that is expensive rock. Never would have imagined. Guess it is a hot and hard to come by commodity there.

Husky03
06-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes, rock is very expensive around here. Anymore tips on pricing?

DuraCutter
06-10-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm about to do some replacement of sod to rock where grass doesn't grow well. Believe it or not, people will pay more than 60 or 80 bucks for install.
It's heavy work, even small jobs and you can usually(here anyways) charge a minimum 300 or 400 for anything to do with rocks.

Just ask a decent price. What does 60 or 80 bucks really mean? Nothing really, it's pocket change. Go for what you deserve!!

justanotherlawnguy
06-11-2006, 03:30 PM
For rock jobs, I charge 5 times my mulch rate. THis usually deters most people, but every now and then people will take it because they gotta have rock.

Rock is a monster to work with....

sir mows-a-lot
07-17-2006, 03:22 PM
I have figures from two differen't rock places. According to these I'll either need 8 tons of river rock or 5 tons of marble chip to cover the area I have. I'm planning on charging mat cost + trans cost + $80/ton to lay, what do you think of that?

hoskm01
07-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I can only say from experience around here, but- 80 bucks a ton is at least twice what you can get around here. But if you can get it, I think it is great. Wish we were charging that much to spread rock. With 3 guys movin and me rakin, I can do 10 tons in 90 min. x80/ton, thats a nice days work done in 90 min.