PDA

View Full Version : Mower Choice

james mcdonald
06-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I mow about two acres that have building, trees, plants, shallow ditches, tight spots. I also have pond with a hill with a 3 to 1 slope (less than 20 degrees). The mower I have (case garden tractor 44 inch) has a deck which sets on the ground and gives an excellent cut but is 30 years old and is very hard to steer. I have been looking at the following mowers as a replacement. Some of the ground is some what rough. Things I am concerned about is the ability to trim along a fence, around buildings, trees etc., the quality of cut, and durability. I need to stay 50 inches or under. Any comments on the following mowers for that purpose.

Pro Value Series 48 inch cut with Turbo Force Deck $5999
This mower looks to be well built, has good edge trimming capability, trim edge very visible from seat, but I could not get it to track straight.

Scag Tiger Cub 48 inch cut with Briggs ELS Engine. $5999
This mower handles great, has some edge trim capability but does has a center anti-scalp roller in front but has one in the rear. Trim edge not as visible as some.

Exmark HP 44 inch 2005 $5700
Deck appears very well constructed but only has about 1/2 edge trimming capability. This appears to be common on most Exmarks except the wider models. Trim edge very visible from seat.

Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44 inch with 20 hp Kolar. $5999
About 3 plus inches of trim edge which is very visible from seat, center anti-scalp roller, but foot lift some what stiff. Tracks very straight.

Dixie chopper Silver Eagle 50 inch with 20 hp Kolar. $5999
About an inch of trim edge

Dixon Kodiac 50 inch 20 hp Kolar $5450
very good trim edge, nearly 4 inches, but somewhat hidden by gas tank. 11 gage deck lightest of the group.

Hustler Mini Z 42 inch $5000
I liked this unit but it had a smaller deck and is a new series. It also had a combination pump and wheel motor, hydrogear 2800 series. Not sure how this unit would hold up under bumpy ground conditions.

DJL50
06-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Hello!

I am in the exact same spot as you. That is a good price for the Toro Pro value 48" $6,199 around here. Toro also makes a 400 Estate model. Same as the pro Value but smaller wheels on the back and no arm rest on the seat 48" is $4,999 and the 52" is 5,699. May want to have a look If you have not already. I am leaning towards the 52" estate model. Toro and my dealer says the 440 is way more mower than I need for my 2 1/2 acres.
You may also want to check out Scag 2005 Tiger Cub model. It has a 48" deck and a 19hp Kaw that I like a lot. Going for $5,700. ( 06 is around 6,700)I found a dealer that had one in stock and talked to another that said they were still available for him to order.
I have been doing research for a month now. Most all brands use the same pumps, motor, seats etc... It all comes down to what deck you like the most.

Good luck and let us know what you get. I have to buy soon. my rider deck fell off tonight .