PDA

View Full Version : Skid loader for Hardscapes

XXL Hardscaper
06-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I am looking at 2 different machines right now and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with either one?

Gehl 5640e

or

Bobcat s205

Pavers Plus
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
How about the new ASV SR70. I had a Cat 257 MultiTerrain loader and loved that thing. The new ASV's are even better than my old Cat. I don't think I'd ever buy a dedicated tire machine unless I also purchased the Loegering VTS track system. I think tracks are where it's at.... just my opinion though.

http://www.asvi.com/sr70_main.cfm

http://www.loegering.com/VTS.htm

Fordsuvparts
06-08-2006, 10:02 PM
I have never used the Gehl 5640e, but i do have expereince with bobcat, New Holland and cat. I would stay away from the cat 247ASV, the larger 257 and 277 are much better machines. I have a 2006 T190 Bocat and you can't beat having tracks. I like the fact that you can find parts easier for the bobcat machines because there are more of them around. If you can afford the upgrade to a tracked machine it would be a good investment. With a wheeled machine your alway fixing ruts. You can run a track machine rain or shine with out tearing up your customers yards. I checked on Bobcats website it looks like the T190 and the S205 have the same engine, and very similar lifting rates. I have heard the the gehl is a good machine other than that i have never used one. just my 2 cents.

mbella
06-08-2006, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't get the 205 as a dedicated hardscape machine. We have a 185, which is almost exactly the same machine and it isn't much of "dedicated hardacape" machine.

We also have a 250, which IS a versatile, dedicated hardscape machine. It can lift pallets of anything we use. The 205 couldn't lift pallets of any material we use.

Sunscaper
06-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I have an S205 and I love it. It will pick up pallets of my pavers weighing around 3000k with operator finesse. I had the factory add the weight kit to my rear door though and it seems to help. I think this is the smallest size Bobcat you would want for hardscaping though. You may want to move into a large frame bobcat like a 220 or 250. Hope this helps you.

kris
06-10-2006, 07:19 PM
No experience with the 205 but have a 220 and it seems to do fine for us...250's are real nice.

DVS Hardscaper
06-11-2006, 05:25 PM
To answer XX's question:

GEHL

We have a Gehl and we have a Cat.

The Gehl's operator visibility is second to none, which is very important for a contractor that works on residential properties. (as residential properties are often times confined and tight manuavering)

I doubt I'll never buy anything other than Gehl.

Gehl is very simply made, yet a VERY rugged machine. "Simple" means less parts to wear out.

Our Gehl is a 1997, bought new, has 2100 hrs, and the german built Deutz engine burns NO oil. And NO major repairs needed.

Now, track machine or rubber tire?

It's my opinion that a dedicated tracked machine IS NOT needed in the landscape business in MD.

Thats alotta money to spend when tracks are only needed in the spring and fall. And not to mention a set of replacement tracks costs thousands of dollars.

My solution? Buy a rubber tire unit, and buy a set of add on tracks and use the tracks as needed. Thus, saving you thousands in the long run. Dedicated track machines are great for pool builders, home builders, and folks that are not traversing over asphalt daily, as the averge residential scaper must do.

Again, want a good skid steer? Go Gehl. You WILL not regret it. I'm familiar with many Gehl owners. And do not know of any that have replaced their Gehl's with other brands. Yes, I bought a Cat after buyin a Gehl. But, I learned my lesson.

Itsgottobegreen
06-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Well I am really the only one here that can this question. I have a 773G and my business partner has a gehl 4635. If you want more opertator comfort and electrionic toys go bobcat. You want simple easy to work on skidloader go gehl. They are both very comparable.

XXL Hardscaper
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
I tested out the Gehl today and was pretty impressed. The visibility was excellent and it had plenty of power for what I need. I have an older Bob Cat now, but I just want something new. I told the wife it wasnt fair, she gets new $h!t all the time (on my dime).