PDA

View Full Version : honda idling funny?

cariboulou
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Got a 5 hp gx140 (I think) horizontal shaft engine on a go cart my boys use, but lately the idle goes up and down, until it finally quits. We restart it and at rest the idle still goes up and down. I took apart carb and cleaned it out including the seat all with carb cleaner , and cleaned out spark plug and it still idles wierd? any suggestions?

lawnmaniac883
06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Does it run smoothly at full throttle?

cariboulou
06-08-2006, 11:05 PM
yes, it seems to run normal at WOT

Restrorob
06-08-2006, 11:15 PM
There is supposed to be a spring over the throttle link rod, Make sure it is connected to the governor arm and the small hole on the throttle shaft on the carb., Without this spring hooked up it will cause a hunt.

cariboulou
06-08-2006, 11:21 PM
it is hooked. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, and then it started idleing funny.

Restrorob
06-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Look on the front of the engine block, In the center will be a smooth area with the model and spec. numbers and or letters. Post these so I can see exactly what engine you have.

MowerMedic77
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Do you mean it is surging at idle? There is what will look like a black rectangle under the idle adjustment screw on the carb remove the idle adjustment screw (Phillips head) and pull that black plug out of the carb take carb spray w/straw and spray out that passage then reinstall the plug and screw and retest sometimes this will stop the surging.

Jim@MilkyWay
06-09-2006, 07:40 PM
cariboulou, how many hours would you estimate on engine? Your symptoms sound distressingly familiar. Do a little inspection for me. Take off air filter or what ever is necessary to expose the "throttle shaft" where your butterfly is. Grip it on the outside of carb, where your linkage connects, and check carefully to see if it will wriggle; up, down, or back 'n forth. Check on both sides of carb body. If it wriggles, you will need a new carb as there is probably no fix for this. If I am wrong, (RetroRob) about a possible repair, please let me know and I will repair that carb to which I referred in my own carbNmanual post.

cariboulou
06-12-2006, 11:41 PM
took out the rectangular black plastic thing, sprayed with carb cleaner, and reinstalled and still not a normal idle. played with the black phillips idel screw and runs high at idle and then after driving a little shuts off when letting off throttle?

FIXDISS
06-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Try putting the tube on a can of carb cleaner or penetrating oil and spray a burst around gasket area of carb base and intake. If engine speed changes you have a leak and won't ever get it to idle . These karts take a lot of abuse and those bolts could have worked loose.

Restrorob
06-13-2006, 08:04 AM
took out the rectangular black plastic thing

There is a super thin 'O' ring on the end of the pilot jet (that thing), Make sure it's in good shape and in the lower of the two grooves.

cariboulou
06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
its actually nicked a bit (o ring) but the passage hole is clear. Would a bad oring cause this, could i pick one up at the hardware store or is it a special honda part?

cariboulou
06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
you do mean the oring on the black rectangular thingy that pops out when you unscrew idle screw, right?

Restrorob
06-13-2006, 08:59 PM
you do mean the oring on the black rectangular thingy that pops out when you unscrew idle screw, right?

Yes, Thats the one I'm talking about. I have tried all our local hardware and auto stores, It's a real thin O-ring and the only way Honda has it is in what they call a packing kit.
Before re-installing your thingy with the new O-ring spray it with some silicone spray lube or armor-all something with silicone in it so it will slide in easily without damaging or rolling the O-ring.