PDA

View Full Version : building road

mas
06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Im wanting to build a road into my land so that I can have big semis and dumptrucks come in and drop fill..

I was wondering if anyone with experience on road building could give me advice on building a road that wont rut and will last...

the road will be about 2ft higher then the grade of the land.. what i had in mind was to lay down some fill(clay) then put down a filter fabric then big crushed rock followed by 3/4th down and then finaly with some abase

thanks

murray83
06-09-2006, 09:03 AM
how much are you willing to spend? i don't think i'd bother with the clay i'd lay down 3'' and compact that well,then lay 3/4'' stone as a dressing on top and compact that and your road will last the largest of trucks.

jazak
06-09-2006, 09:43 AM
You might also wnat to line the road with large rock to keep from it eventually washing away.

Mike33
06-10-2006, 04:49 PM
we use a shale or slate material dont know what you have there. Clay is not the answer. It will take a lot of material but will make a good base then you can top coat with gravel. Mke sure you slope away for run off.
mike

tylermckee
06-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Build the road out of shale, big crushed rock ( like a 12" minus, make sure there is lots of fines in the material, otherwise you might as well put down ball bearings). throw down some road building fabric first. then top with some crushed. as long as you have good drainage the road should last just fine, might want to dig a ditch along one side of the road, with the road pitched towards it.

Fordsuvparts
06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Use the fabric after you've got a base down it will keep the small rock from disappearing. I like to start with cutting the road bed down to the hardpack and then putting the #2's down the same day and then driving on it a few days then come back and put the fabric down then top with 57's and then let it settle then top with 8's later down the road.

tylermckee
06-10-2006, 05:32 PM
and as long as the guys driving on your road dont drive over the exact same spot every time the road will hold up a lot better. with a 12' wide road they should be able to lay down 3 sets of tracks to keep from rutting up the road

zedosix
06-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I built a road into my property 3 yrs ago, 800 feet long. Soil in this area is very fine sand, clay particles. I excavated to 14" on average, levelled the bottom with my skid steer, installed a geo-textile the full run, and added 4" minus to 6" below grade. Compacted with a large drum vibratory roller while it rained. Perfect timing I guess. Then 3/4" up to 2" below final grade. In total we used 1000 metric tonnes of granular. Cost was close to 18,000 including excavation, geo-textile and stone. I hauled nothing away, all was left on the property and graded.