PDA

View Full Version : Help pricing demolition

Duramax8832
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a 12x16 x16 ft tall shed with a play room over it to be demolished. I have experience actually doing the demo with an excavator, but have never had to try and price it. The removal is bout a 100 bucks a ton plus delivery and pickup. I have a 315 with a thumb that i can use to do it. any ideas how to price it out?

Scag48
06-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Sometimes if you're not really sure how to price it, I'd tell the customer you'll bill for time and materials only. But, I'd say you could have it knocked down and loaded up in a couple hours. Problem is, a 315 for a day around here is about $500, so you have to cover that cost. Who knows about the weight, just tell the customer that you'll charge them exactly what the disposal company charged you. Make your money on running the excavator and just bill a direct cost or even mark up 15% after you get the bill for disposal. I'd say you're going to be in the $1,700-$2,000 range, about 12-14 ton of debris and a little bit for the machine, but then again I haven't done any demo.

Gravel Rat
06-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Without seeing the site its hard to give you a idea what its going to cost.

What does the shed have for roofing
What is inside the shed is it bare framing no drywall
Does it have electrical

When ever you do demo you have to completely gut the inside for us we can't take mixed demo debris in to the landfill if its mixed they won't take it.

So if its been drywalled and insulated that all has to come out if the roof has duriods that has to come off if the roof is metal that has to be stripped off. If its cedar shakes with tar paper inbettween the rows has to be stripped off.

Now outside siding if its metal or vinyl siding that has to come off if its wood siding it can stay if its stucco good luck that has
to come off if you never have stripped stucco before have fun :laugh:

Once the building is stripped of the non wood items its ready to be knocked down busted up and put into 40 yard rolloff bins. The machine time is all by the hour no other way of doing it.

Depending on how big the yard is you are going to want a dumpster bin close as you can get it so your not walking the machine alot also keeps the debris drippings in one area. Like I said without seeing what your up against its hard to tell you what would be the best approach to tear down.

Anyhow if the building has to be gutted first I don't know if you want to take that on or have the homeowner find somebody to do that. If the place has a metal roof you can pretty much strip that off with the excavator its easy to pick out. If its asphalt shingles its got to be done by hand and put into a separate dumpster bin. Drywall has to be disposed of right away soon as its wet its classed as hazardous waste then you will have one h*ll of a time trying to get rid of it.

Good Luck

Duramax8832
06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Well the good news is that the 315 would be a freeby from my buddy, but i'll sure charge them. The problems are yes the whole roof is asphalt shingles. No interior wiring. But the whole interior is sheetrocked and insulated. I can see this demolition costing more than the materials he used to build it in the first place.

Gravel Rat
06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
If you do the demo job the drywall has to be stripped from the studs for us it costs 250 dollars per metric ton to dispose of it. Thats just to get rid of it doesn't include hauling it away. If the drywall is contaminated say it has bathroom tile stuck to it or some kind of material stuck to it you can't remove easily then its 500 dollars per metric ton.

Old duriods (asphalt shingles) that to is 250 dollars a ton to get rid of most roofs have atleast 2200lbs (1 metric ton) of duriods. The wood waste like the old dimensional lumber is 125 dollars a ton the old insulation and vapor barrier we pay 80 dollars a ton.

Gut the drywall and insulation then take a match to it light her up it will go fast you may have some complaints from the neighbours because of burning tar.

Any way you slice it the homeowner is going to have to pay a good chunk of money to demo the building.

ksss
06-09-2006, 09:38 PM
You will want to contact you landfill and find out exactly what the restrictions are. Depending on the type of landfill it is will dictate what if anything needs to be seperated. Out here that building would cost about 1500 to stick in a dump truck and haul off.

Duramax8832
06-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Well luckily i spoke with a friend of mine that hauls for waste management. he told me it can all go together in the same containers. He just asked that it be pretty well "crunched" i guess they can impose a fee if they have to process it when it hits the transfer station. Now to make matters worse the homeowner is all concerned about his freshly tared diveway. I told him id lay planks and walk the excavator on the planks to get out into the back yard.. That reminds me, when i was in high school i worked for this "old timer" that refused to have his Pc 200 moved 1 mile down the road. He rather myself and 3 other guys keep picking up and laying planks back down in front of him the whole way to the next lot..Must have looked like a circus show.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2006, 12:10 AM
I'am surprised they would let you put it all into one bin so I guess they will charge you what ever it takes per hour to sort the material reload it and dispose of it. I can imagine thats going to cost the home owner a extra 500 dollars in charges.

If you get caught burying used drywall it can net fines up to 50,000 dollars.

ksss
06-10-2006, 12:18 AM
GR I think you can thank all the Liberals we sent you in the 60's for such lame restrictions. When your ready for more I am sure we can round some more up. :cool2:

Gravel Rat
06-10-2006, 12:51 AM
We have quite a few enviromental rules we have to deal with. Also we are running out of landfill space so anything we can recycle the better. The wood waste is ground up and used to help bury the household garbage.

mastercraft
06-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Here in Ohio we have construction & demolition landfills. Pretty much anything short of asbestos, and actual garbage and trash. A tandem axle load costs $65.00 to dump. You might try looking around for that type of landfill in MA.

bobcat9957
06-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Duramax, you should have no problem doing that in a day. We did a 30x20 house with a 1 car garage last week and it was about 6 hours to knock it crush it and load it. Alot of the time was waiting for the roll off because they had a truck down. That took 3 dumpsters, that was drywall, siding, kitchen cabinets, carpet etc. We usually give a price without the dumpster fees depending on the size of the house. Also I would be more concerned with the dumpster trucks driving off the end of the driveway and breaking it up the excavator will just scratch it up a little.

Kepple Services
06-11-2006, 01:45 PM
ok here in FL you dont have to segregate anything except asbestos when it comes to C&D. There are landfills here that also go by the yard instead of weight. I am assuming a few things here, one that a shed is wood construction and its made of 2x4's. I calculated around 12 CuYds. Obveously you can get it to pack in with no air, so "generally" I double the measured volume, this would make it 24 yards... so round up to 30 yard can. This was not removing the floor as you didnt say what it was made of. The only things I segregate out of a demo is recylable metals like steel, aluminum, copper (BIG $$$$), and concrete. There is 2 reasons for this, the hauler I used ot use charged me by the yard for debris removal not weight. They have large sterling grapple rolloff trucks that they can put different cans on. They put the large 50 yard can on for lighter C&D, the wood, shingles, siding, etc and a 20 or 30 yard can for the concrete. The concrete can also be disposed of for free at a recycler plant. I say USED to use is because I just bought a grapple truck of my own, its a smaller truck a C7500 GMC topkick with a 25 yard box on the back and a lightning loader. Anyway, back to your original question... If oyu figure 30 yards for the walls and roof and lets say its $15 a yard(what I charge) thats $450 for disposal, plus whatever the machine costs are and your labor. Here I would charge $1000-$1200 depending on how far I would have to drive.

miacharger
06-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Drywall is hazardous waste?? They shouldn't use it in buildings then! What stupid regulations the communists in governemt have created. And thanks to them removing asbestos my brakes don't work well anymore. Down here in FL we have termites and hurricanes to do the demo for us