PDA

View Full Version : Is one big belt a problem? Toro ZTR

DJL50
06-10-2006, 12:46 AM
I was looking at an Estate 400 Toro ZTR for home use. I noticed today that it has one big belt running from the engine to the deck and around all 3 blades of the deck. Not two belts, one from the engine to the deck,then another on the deck around the blades. Has anyone used a set up like that with one big belt? Is it an issue or does it matter?

fishinpa
06-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I was looking at an Estate 400 Toro ZTR for home use. I noticed today that it has one big belt running from the engine to the deck and around all 3 blades of the deck. Not two belts, one from the engine to the deck,then another on the deck around the blades. Has anyone used a set up like that with one big belt? Is it an issue or does it matter?

I own the Hustler Mini-FasTrack 42" and the belt that drives the spindles for the blades is a single like you described.

There is also 1 seperate belt to drive both pumps, that comes off the same shaft connected to the engine.

I've got just over 20 hrs on my Z and have not noticed any problem with this setup yet.

viper00085
06-10-2006, 07:37 PM
this is a trend that most mowers are using only one deck belt now and the toro 400 series is doing well with it. They did have an issue with 04-early 05 models with the tension spring giving to much and allowing a "knocking" noise only on engagement. There was also some added belt guides on certain models that helped belt life. There was a bulletin and a kit out for them and they should have all been updated prior to sale. Once this was done they are working perfectly for many hundreds of hours.
'
The only long time drawback is an expensive replacement belt cause its so long (like $60-80.00)

lawnmaniac883
06-10-2006, 08:49 PM
A single belt driven deck should pose no problem at all.

ed2hess
06-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Scag 48" has a single belt but it is a problem, they break at about 300hrs. I have heard they will replace it with a two belt system upon request.

DJL50
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
A single belt driven deck should pose no problem at all.

Viper00085!

I took a look around your web page. Wish you had a store here in Cincinnati. Most around here are small and not very well maintained.
I noticed you have a Toro Estate model 74410 (52" 19 Kaw) on your web page. Has that been a good unit for you? Any problems? That model is on the top of my list. My dealer has a 52" 19 Kaw Bob Cat unit for $6,199 that is a good deal plus 0 interest for two years but that thing is huge. Trying to talk myself into the Toro. This is home use only for two+ Acres.