PDA

View Full Version : Dying mulch?

shovelracer
06-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Is there a way to spray dye on already laid mulch. I have a customer who had 6" black hardwood laid on this hill 1 year ago. Yes I know it's too thick, but I didn't do it. He doesn't want to strip it, and there is too much there to add more. Has anyone ever sprayed dye over older mulch to recolor it? If so where can you get it, and what is the process. I am pretty good friends with the local mulch guy so getting some may be possible, but I would have to draw it from his 55 gallon drums.

ProMo
06-10-2006, 08:16 AM
try turning the mulch over

carcrz
06-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Lesco sells Nu-Mulch. I don't know how it will work on the black though.

Inman's lawn care
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
I would turn it over and see what you have first.
But i would strongly suggest replacing it. the life of most mulches In my area only handle 3 years max of weathering and then it decays. if it starts to decay then you get bugs and the mulch will bring in grubs and then youwill have a problem.

This is what I have learned in the field my last few years. do what you want.

shovelracer
06-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Upon close examination today I found anywhere from 6-9" of mulch. There where 2 layers. The bottom was as expected, old, decaying. The top layer was put on so thick that the it would take 10 years to decay. Yes 3 years is absolute max around hear for hardwood. This particular property can be turned. What do you guys do when it is crusty and hard? I've turned these with minimal results in the past. Just curious as to whether anyone figured out a hidden secret.

Inman's lawn care
06-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I just remove the old mulch and replace with new it LOOKS so much better.
I will turn down a job if they dont want it replaced. Due to the old Mulch would and could cause the new mulch on top to decay faster. then you get coustmers complaning.