PDA

View Full Version : Shrub Removal Question

ALarsh
06-10-2006, 11:42 AM
So I need to take these things out... I think they are Icee Blue Junipers (http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Trees/Shrubs/icee.htm), anybody care to confirm?

How would you take these suckers out without any heavy machinery. Most of it has to be done by hand or possibly a long rope and a truck from the street if that would be any help.

About how long do you think it will take? How deep do the roots of these go?

Thanks...

ALarsh
06-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Another pic....

ALarsh
06-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Whole view of everything...

ALarsh
06-10-2006, 11:46 AM
And last one.....

Thanks

BSDeality
06-10-2006, 12:16 PM
the roots on those shouldn't be too bad. I recently bid a shrub removal @ $100 to pull out 4 low junipers like that (around 3' dia each). I had them out in 10 minutes for all of them. I almost felt guilty about that one. All I used was a round nose spade and some elbow grease.

Lumberjack
06-10-2006, 12:20 PM
a logging chain might be a better idea.....

ALarsh
06-10-2006, 04:03 PM
What would you estimate for these?

carcrz
06-10-2006, 05:48 PM
How many are there actually? I would figure around $75 each. If they are a ragular customer, discount the amount a little if everything comes out faster than you thought.

Fowen22
06-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Ummmm, I wouldn't charge 75 a peice, but its going to be a ***** to get all those out. Truck and chain baby!!! Might even have to use a rototiller afterwords if u plan to plant anything in there. The Roots on those things are GAY. :weightlifter:

ALarsh
06-12-2006, 09:02 PM
lol thanks... I will just pull them out, no planting for me. That is for the other guy that is going to come in so it isn't my problem. :)

lawnkid
06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Last fall we ripped out proably 5 times as many junipers as you have there in one yard and they are a PITA! The customer was getting a complete new landscape so natuarlly we just chained the smaller ones around the truck and yanked them out. The ones we were pulling out were much larger and the roots were so deep the truck couldn;t yank them. For the larger ones that we couldn;t get a rope around, we dug around the roots, chopped everything by hand and stump ground everything. Total price was about $800. I would be that job for probably $250. Like BSDeality mentioned, if you cant get a truck very close, dig around them and chope the roots, should be done in about 2-3 hours with one guy.

instyle
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Don't kid your self....they are hard to get out. Don't under estimate this one. You will want to get a very good chain to pull the bulk of them out. We did 12 the other day, no way to use a vehicle to pull them out. We used a chain saw and cut all the green off, then used a bobcat to dig the roots, and let me tell you...the bobcat had a hard time getting them out.

teejet
06-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Cut away some of the top and try and find the main trunk. Take a pointed spade and spade down in a 12'' diameter around it. you should find a main root or two growing horizontally less than a foot deep axe that sucker first, than it will come out easier. hope this helps.

stevesmowing
06-17-2006, 10:23 PM
use some heavy duty chains and put the truck in 4x4 low. It's amazing what they will pull out. These are the tires on my truck.

Fordsuvparts
06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
We usually just use the bobcat and stick the forks under it and pop it out of the ground. It is kind of fun to do and works on about any shrub or small tree we have ever tried it on. some time we just use the old truck and chain method if there is no skid loader on the job. Just stay clear of the danger zone.

Tharrell
06-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Mommy, make them go away! ha ha ha
Just kidding, but they can be a pain. I underbid my first time and really learned a lesson!

sheshovel
06-18-2006, 05:30 AM
How many are there actually? I would figure around $75 each. If they are a ragular customer, discount the amount a little if everything comes out faster than you thought.

$75.00 Each! You gotta be kidding me? That's a laugh Hell you could hire a frikkin kaboda for a fraction of what that poor cust would have to pay and get them out.
I agree with cut them back 1st then dig out as much as you can with a sharp spade and axe.Then pull out any stubborn ones with a chain after cutting around the roots first.Before you give a price on this job go over and do a removal test on one of them..feel it out and see haw hard it might be. Remember you will need clean topsoil and alot of it to fill the hole back to original grade after you remove the shrubs.
Wear long sleeves and gloves cuz junipers will tear you up good if you dont.

o-so-n-so
06-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Those junipers are not to bad. The roots are leggy with 3 or 4 main roots per plant with one root going down like a tap root. I have the best results using the blade side of a pick. Find each main root and it usually takes one chop per main root. Looks to be a 2.5 to 3 hour job with the right hand tools. It will be a good work out for ya..Oh yea.....we prune the plant back to the stub as well...throw the debris on a tarp for easy clean up.

good luck.............

ALarsh
06-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

cantoo
06-18-2006, 06:56 PM
We roll these types of shrubs out using our Steiner 4x4 and a chain. It takes very little to get them out. I have a crane type lift that fits on the front hydraulics for stuborn roots. You want to pull low to the ground to get them out easy.

sheshovel
06-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Your very welcome..we live for giving advice.
Bad and good.:cool2:

jameson
06-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Wear long sleeves and gloves cuz junipers will tear you up good if you dont.

Yep, can anyone say juniper rash? Eww..

Have fun!

Tharrell
06-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Juniper rash? SOOO, THAT'S what you call it. I used my string trimmer to clean up the weeds growing out of a large area of junipers and my arms were ate up good.
I use glyphosate now. I don't care if it kills them, which it hasn't yet.
I just hate those things.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
i quoted out $450 for a few more than that, but included some 4' trees and plants/shrubs that were in their garden, and it included prep afterwards ready for planting and rotortilling. similar plants though. the "old" people didnt want to spend that much lol. oh well

RedWingsDet
06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
2 years ago I took those out around an inground pool, there was about 128ft long by 10ft wide just filled with those but more mature (about 25years old), and we just used basic handtools, but if i was to do it over again, i'd get a long chain and big truck, or one of those puller things and tie it around a tree and ratched them out.

It took us 3 days and over gour 16ft trailer loads that were about 6ft high to drop them off at the dump.

It sucked, and all I have to say is good luck.

southscape
06-21-2006, 07:00 PM
wow, this is a tough one:hammerhead: . how 'bout a machete and a pick

FLAhaulboy
06-23-2006, 08:50 PM
years ago, i bid on such a job as this. this is backbreaking work! go rent a small backhoe instead.

TheKingNJ
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
lol thanks... I will just pull them out, no planting for me. That is for the other guy that is going to come in so it isn't my problem. :)

The planting is where you would make your money.