PDA

View Full Version : Best option for skid steer

buddhaman
06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Looking to purchase a new or relatively new skid steer. Need one for snow removal and light landscaping. What kind would any of you users recommend? What size? Tracks or tires? Any help or advice would be great.

murray83
06-10-2006, 08:57 PM
on snow tires are your best bet.

my question is do you have any dealers near?,support is probably my major decision if i bought a machine.

after you know what dealers are near tell us and we'll throw ideas your way :)

ksss
06-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Make aside, I would of course want a cab with at least heat if not AC. Two speed for snow removal is a necessity in my book. I would look for a machine in the 2000-2400 ROC catagory to handle large snow buckets. Vertical lift might give you more reach when stacking snow, but would not probably be necessary. IF your going to blow snow than high flow would be a must have option. With a cab, I would get a hyd. quick coupler makes it much easier to change attachments. Machines in this ROC catagory would be CASE 70XT, 430, 440, 75 and 85XT or 435 and 445/ CAT 246, 248, 262, 268/ Bobcat 220, 205, 250. NH LS180 and .B / I would pass on Deere, but to be fair 260/ 270 or 325. Not all of these machines have two speed as an option. I would not go tracks unless you have a particular need for them. As a side note CASE is running 4000 hour warranty and very low interest (amount depends on down payment and credit history). I got my interest on a 440 to 1.7 percent. This is through the month of JUNE I believe.

buddhaman
06-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I have a Bobcat and New Holland dealer in close range. Never dealt with them so I don't know about their support. Been asking around if people like the dealers here.

murray83
06-11-2006, 10:05 AM
since its close i'd go bobcat.

as for accessories.....as ksss said cab,ac/heat,2 speed and go high flow so you can use most attachments.i'd also go with pilot controls they're just so much easier on you during long hours.

most bobcat dealers rent out attachments i wouldn't drop big bucks on them early on,see what attachments you rent most and you'll know what to buy.

Fordsuvparts
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
If you are plowing an enclosed cab with heat and a/c is a no brainer, and tracks are ok if you do light plowing but i would go with a wheeled machine because concrete and blacktop will wear the tracks very fast. I have a 2006 T190 Bobcat with the gold package and bob-tach, that way i don't have to get out to change buckets or attachments in the snow and cold. I also have a 1999 New holland LX665 Turbo which is the best machine, I have ever used it has 2800 hours on it
and have never had a major repair done on it. It is a great machine for plowing but you freeze to death in it.

You said Both Bobcat and New Holland dealer where close to you, i would go with a local dealer that way getting service and parts isn't a all day project. Bobcat will rent you pretty much anything they sell, and they have a ton of different attachments to rent.

I had a bad experience with the Cat 247 Machine, so i would stay away from it.

buddhaman
07-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Got prices on a Bobcat S220 with cab/heat, high flow, two speed and dirt bucket. $40,000. Seems kinda high to me. Same thing on a Caterpillar 246B with added pallet forks is $30000. Only thing dealer is about an hour away. The Bobcat dealer here does not rent attachments and didn't seem very knowledgeable of their products. Don't care for the New Holland since the radiator can be damaged if backing into something accidentally where the Cat and Bobcat have the radiator up top.

ksss
07-03-2006, 02:41 AM
40K for that Bobcat is high I think as well. I had priced a 220 last year with the silver package and it was 32K as I recall. No high flow and no AC I doubt would make that much difference. I ordered a CASE 465 with everything (high flow, hyd. coupler, ride control, cab heat/AC two speed is standard) for 46K. The 465 is almost twice the machine the 220 is (going off of ROC which is 3600 with counter weight). If you buy a blower I had good luck with a Erskine 2418 high flow blower. I have also heard very good reports about the Loegren blower.

ksss
07-03-2006, 02:48 AM
I wouldn't get too concerned about damaging the radiator. We do a lot of demo and have yet to stick anything in the radiator. Rebar wont fit through the guard on the back of the machine (CASE). I also think that having the fan located on top of the engine generates more noise for the operator than does mounting it in the back of the engine. That is my personal opinion.

buddhaman
07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
KSSS, is there a lot of visibility in the Case? Will need a lot of visibility since I will be using it for plowing parking lots also.

Tigerotor77W
07-03-2006, 09:46 PM
buddhaman -- I think $40,000 is a little high for the S220, but probably not out of the ballpark... I'd try to get that figure down to around $34,000 or so, given your options, but I wanted to note a few things.

1) Caterpillar skid steers really do offer a better product for the money. $40k isn't too outrageous for the 246B, but it, too, could get dwindled a little bit. Either way, if you go Yellow, expect to pay more for features that will make your skid steer last longer and that make it easier to maintain.

2) Don't discount NH simply because the Bobcat guy said that the radiator has holes in it. NH machines don't get my nod for many aspects, but if you're looking for a machine that will plow snow and do "light landscaping," as you put it, the NH may well be a good idea. It has a low center of gravity, generally good visibility (except to the tires and when raising the boom arms), and generally have hold up well in lighter applications. If you want to move into basement or pool excavation, however, I'd shy away immediately from saying this. I (hardly, rarely, seldom, just about never) suggest trying out an NH machine, simply because they're rather outdated in design and comfort, but for your needs, it may be sufficient. It will probably have a lower price tag, as well.

3) The most important point is this one. Any of the brands on the market today are good machines, regardless of what mudslinging dealers will feed you. You should decide first on your job application, which you have; then move on to dealer support and machine value. Dealer support varies from area to area. Machine value is probably very closely clumped for Case and Cat, as both tend to be heavy-duty designs, and if your Bobcat dealer seems a little aloof (or unknowledgable) about the market, do you want to trust them if the machine dies on you? How have other owners or operators in your area perceived Bobcat? Cat? Case? NH? It's important to ask whether you want to pay some extra money upfront (Case and Cat, but to some degree, Bobcat -- certainly against NH!) for a longer-lasting machine in the long run. Furthermore, will you need attachments? NH doesn't market its attachment line nearly as aggressively as Bobcat and Cat. What about different machines -- will you need a mini-ex? Backhoe-loader?

When the decision comes down to a fine line between a few machines, don't just consider the sales pitch: also consider your needs and how the various manufacturers, not just machines, meet them. Value [for the money] and dealer support are two huge factors that are coming more and more into play as machines become less and less differentiated.

tnmtn
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
if snow removal is going to be your primary job with a bit of light landscaping also, you might consider a toolcat from bobcat. it has all wheel steering which seems to help the tires last longer than on a skid steer. also very good visability.
good luck,

buddhaman
07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
I looked into a Toolcat. Dealer here won't sell them. Says too hard to move out of the store because of the price tag. Bobcat dealer here only has one skid steer here at all. Not really into it I guess. Going to check with New Holland next.

mrusk
07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I paid 35xxx for my 06 246b with cab heat and ac. With forks and tax it came right out at 38k.

It was acctually less than the NH, Case, and BC.

Matt

Fordsuvparts
07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I would go look at the new Holland, The 1999 Lx665 turbo i have has been the most reliable machine I have ever been around, 2800 hours and not a problem more serious than a busted line and a rusted out muffler. Also do not worry about the radiator being in the back, the metal that protects it is very heavy duty, i have done little more than bend a fin on the rear access door. Just because they don't adverstise like bobcat and cat doesn't mean they aren't as good. Don't worry about attachments just about any of them will work on any machine. I just bought a New, New holland TT55 tractor with the front end loader that has the skid loader quick tach mount, so that all my skid loader attachments will work on it as well. Hope this helps.

ksss
07-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Visibility in the 410-440 machines is excellent. Very easy to see your back tires and the cowling isn't so high in the back that it obstructs you vision (like BC). The heavy vertical lift machines have more steel in the way but you can still see the rear tires. We bounce around sprinkler heads everyday with a Preparator and do very well with both machines.

all ferris
07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
You are going to get every biased opinion you could ever want on the site. It seems that everyone is brand loyal here. My advice to you is to either demo or rent the machines you are considering and pick the one you like best. I plow some snow with my T200 bobcat and I would rather plow with my old 863 because the tracks ride pretty rough on pavement. However, I use my machine more when landscaping and the tracks are great for that.

Options I would get if I were you would be: cab, heat, A/C, joystick controls (pilot), and power bob-tach (so you don't have to get out of the cab to switch buckets).

I have all these options on my machine plus a suspension seat, and stereo and I don't have the joystick controls. I think comfort would be a major consideration in my purchase because when you have to plow for 24 hours straight you may as well be comfortable. I have even been thinking of trying put a more comfortable seat and more sound deadening in my loader.

And if you really want to move some snow with a skidsteer you should really look into getting a snow pusher. I use them and they work great in large parking lots and are faster that a pick-up with plow

buddhaman
07-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I am actually looking to put on a 8611ss Blizzard Power Plow on for the snow removal. I would think that would be faster than a puser would be. Maybe not though, never used a pusher.

Scag48
07-06-2006, 02:12 AM
$40,000 for a 246B would be a bit high. We paid $50,000 for a fully loaded 277B.

buddhaman
07-06-2006, 11:48 AM
fordsuvparts,

How do you like you New Holland tractor with a front end loader? Looking into one of those also/instead.

TerraFirma Excavating
07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
After the creature comforts of the cab, I second "all ferris" on the Power-Bobtach. Makes it so simple to drop an attachment and grab another, especially with an enclosed cab.

Do not buy a skid steer and not get pallet forks. I think forks are the biggest labor saver there is. Anything I purchase either comes on a pallet or gets placed on a pallet when loaded on the truck or trailer. I have a pallet full of t-posts which ended up getting moved around several times before being installed. Concrete form stakes are another items that get put on a pallet immediately after getting removed. Easily loaded on the trailer then placed where needed on the next jobsite.