PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna Make My Mower More Powerful!

Jeds_Lawn_Care
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey, I have a question ;

Does anyone on here put K&N Air Filters on thier mowers? You acctually can get them for lawn mowers. If so, do they really make a mower more powerful?
Is there something out there that I can get to turbo charge my lawn mower?

I have a Snapper 38in/18hp Zero turn Top speed 6mph. Top mowing speed 4mph

Lumberjack
06-11-2006, 11:10 AM
You want more horsepower be cuase your bogging or you want more ground speed? If its ground speed you have to change the hydros first....

thecrankshaft
06-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I would never put a K&N on anything I own. You do know why installing a K&N gives the engine more power, right? It lets more air through. More air = more dirt. Not good in this kind of environment.

lawnmaniac883
06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
If you want more speed, get a better mower. If you want more power, get a bigger engine. If you wanna run K&N on anything you own you are nuts. If you look at the gains on large engines from K&N then a 300hp engine might gain 5 hp ... that means your 18hp might gain ... .2hp if any.

carcrz
06-12-2006, 08:14 AM
What about adding some different exhaust? I always wondered what that would do.

tomo
06-12-2006, 10:27 AM
ha ha ha ha:dizzy: :laugh: :dizzy: :laugh: :dizzy: :laugh: but seriously ha ha sorry cannot stop a blower on meth oh yea !! just have to watch those cylinder head bolts. Add a free flowing K/N filter plus all the dirt it brings with it. CUBIC inches rule, go buy a bigger engine. Best solution would be to spend all your apparent xtra budget on good maintenance. tomo

lawnmaniac883
06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Theres no replacement for displacement.

Jim@MilkyWay
06-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Absolutely lawnmaniac883. I vote for bigger jugs!

Jeds_Lawn_Care
06-15-2006, 10:06 PM
You want more horsepower be cuase your bogging or you want more ground speed? If its ground speed you have to change the hydros first....

Manly the bogging thing. No changing hydro's 4 me.

Lumberjack
06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Manly the bogging thing. No changing hydro's 4 me.

A few things off the top of my head to consider

Bigger engine (18 horse for a 38 inch deck should be ok)
Sharp blades
Check for bad spindles
Blade drive belt dragging

You could do a bit of pulley swapping - IE. slowing the blades down a bit will increase the apparent torque/horsepower.
If its only mild bogging adding a flywheel type weight to the blades/spindles might help you get thru it (maybe)

Check out the hydro drive, a hang up can rob you of engine power.

also look at your mowing habits as well.

J&R Landscaping
06-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Be like the Pro Lawnmower racers out there!!!

Remove the governor from the engine!
Bore the cylinder 40 over
3 angle valve job
Change the pulley sizes

Those are the mani and basic changes to get a mower going faster. Ofcourse rule # 1 is NO BLADES ONB A MOWER OF THISA SORT SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

A lawnmower racer in PA has a BP class mower (the highest most powerful class) with a 20hp V twin Kohler on it that is bored out, has different valves and carb settings and other stuff dsone to it that puts out 31HP!

Good luck.. If you want, check out www.letsmow.com for more info!!! Kick some Grass!!!

Jeds_Lawn_Care
07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Alright already, I get what you guys are saying. I just need to spend more than $3300 on my next mower!

An to Mr. LumberJack

I try to keep my blades sharp. (I mulch alot too)
I don't drive like a teenager....haha(I'm 15)
And my hydro pumps are some sort of hydro transmission snapper created. It is crap!

I just need an upgrade.

My dealer sells SnapperPro.

I'm thinking about the 25kawi/52in.....he says I can get one for around $7k.

What do you guys think?

Bumblebee the mower
07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Try using a higher octane gas. Its the cheapest way to go and the easiest. Also have you thought of removing the spark arrestor on the muffler.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
07-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Try using a higher octane gas. Its the cheapest way to go and the easiest. Also have you thought of removing the spark arrestor on the muffler.

No I haven't,;) what will that do?

lawnmaniac883
07-15-2006, 11:02 PM
No I haven't,;) what will that do?

Absolutely nothing.

TLS
07-15-2006, 11:21 PM
High octane gas will likely give you LESS performance.

Lawnmower engines are designed to run on 87 octane.

Dirty Water
07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Higher octane gas is harder to ignite, so you'll end up with fouled plugs and a lot of backfiring as the unburnt gas hits the muffler.

Only run higher octane in vehicles designed for it.

PTP
07-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Is there something out there that I can get to turbo charge my lawn mower?

First, you have to make an adapter for your mowers air filter. Then you need to figure out a way to mount your blower on the mower. Next run the blower tube into the adapter that you made for the air filter. Seal all of this with plenty of duct tape. There you go - consider this to be a custom turbo.

Let us know how it works out.

SLR
07-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Also have you thought of removing the spark arrestor on the muffler.
--
Haa..right?..however..a nice way to be able to cut down on cutting a lawn..just burn it down a bit.I did this on my big bore honda 500,and let someone take er for a spin,it was only then i seen just how risky that was,with the flamage spitting out the back and right onto my dry/droughted field,espeicially if your doing other peoples yards yikes that would perhaps be!

Travel'n Trees
07-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Why be afraid of k+n's you must drive FORD's it is a cop out from inexperienced service tech's telling you what ford told them to cover corners that ford cut. If you understood how a k+n worked you would put them on a lot of things.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
07-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey I dig K&N air filters, I got one on my z71. But everyone on here says they are a no-no for lawn mowers.

lawnmaniac883
07-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Why be afraid of k+n's you must drive FORD's it is a cop out from inexperienced service tech's telling you what ford told them to cover corners that ford cut. If you understood how a k+n worked you would put them on a lot of things.

Tell me what I dont ****in know about K&N's GARBAGE air filters? They are what 3 layer gauze that you put some chitty oil on and voila they call it a filter. Expect high silicon levels in your oil when you send it in for analysis, oh wait you dont even know what an oil analysis is do you? Well in that case just keep running that POS filter on there till the engine gives out. If you want a high flowing filter try an AFE filter but I strongly suggest you stay away from K&N. Say what you want but tests do not lie. Some good information about K&N filters for you believers: http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

lsylvain
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Do a sear for West Coast choppers in one eposode they took a motor from a Dixie Choper and turned it into a real Chopper for bike week as a promo for Dixie Chopper. Or just cram the nossle of your blower into the carb for some extraboost. lol