PDA

View Full Version : Lever vs. pistol grip grease guns

Roger
06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I have always used a lever action grease gun, until this season. My lever unit seemed so messy to get new cartridges installed, I decided to try a different grease gun. I bought a Lincoln pistol grip and I really like it, changing cartridges is much cleaner than my old one.

However, I believe the amount of grease per shot may be less for the pistol grip than for the lever gun. I have done a bit of experimenting, and also by looking on grease points, I think the volume of grease is less with the pistrol. If I had to put an objective measure, I would say the pistol delivers about 70% as much grease put action than the lever.

Anybody have any experiences or assessments on this matter?

lawnmaniac883
06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I have always use a lever type grease gun. I currently have one of the large catridge type guns and that has worked just fine, also holds alot more grease than those little things.

Restrorob
06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
If I had to put an objective measure, I would say the pistol delivers about 70% as much grease put action than the lever.

So that means you stand a better chance getting 100 % of that 70 % of grease in a Zerk as apposed to trying to hold the hose on a lever pump gun and pump at the same time.
Been using pistol grips for over 20 yrs, Wouldn't own a lever pump.

Roger
06-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Retrorob ... My setup is exactly the opposite. The lever gun has a pipe, the pistol has a hose. Both fit up to the zerk just fine, but I think each stroke delivers different amount of grease per stroke.

oldrustycars
06-12-2006, 08:06 PM
i like the pistol grip for the same reason as restrorob. however, i recently maed a 3 foot hose for my lever gun. it allows me to lay the gun on the floor, or the machine, and hold the hose with the other hand. definately more grease per stroke. and i guess im getting old, but after greasing an 18 wheeler front to back, my hand aches from using the pistol grip....the long hose on the lever gun solves this problem.

kels
06-12-2006, 09:34 PM
pneumatic, I will never go back

fixer67
06-12-2006, 11:01 PM

Same here.

FIXDISS
06-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Ohhh noooo ! We're debating hand tools.....Quick , somebody break something.

tylermckee
06-13-2006, 12:47 AM
lever with a pipe, not a hose. never liked using the hose kind as they can be pretty messy.

fulano
06-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I have a pistol grip one that uses the large tubes of grease. It also has a 10" flexible hose at the end for tight spaces.

PJDiesel
06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Anyone who uses air will wonder why they waited so long. I have a Craftsman I got about two years ago, $35.00 and worth every penny.

lawnboy dan
06-13-2006, 08:21 PM
i was a lever /pipe man till i got my z master .you must have a flwxable hose and you need 3 hands unless you use a pistol type.

gammon landscaping
06-13-2006, 11:26 PM
i use a cat lever with the pipe. the pistol grips don't put out the presure if something gets tight. i hate the hoses they make a mess. i have one that i use if i can't make the pipe work. i usually try to change the zerk out ti make my pipe work if i can.

muddstopper
06-14-2006, 07:31 PM
has anyone tried the battery powerd grease guns? I have been considering purchaseing one simply because i am usually hanging off the side of my hydroseeder and lever or pistol grip guns are a pain.

szwedj
06-16-2006, 05:04 PM
A friend of mine bought 4 of them. One for each crew. I really like them, but I'm to cheap to buy one myself. If your in some awkward position under something you just hold the hose on the fitting with one hand and pull the trigger with the other. Probably a lot like the air powered ones but easier to use out at the job site cause you don't need a compressor. From what I can tell, his guys are keeping his equipment greased up better too.

Joe

Itsgottobegreen
06-16-2006, 09:29 PM
I got a 14.4v and a 7.2v lincoln grease guns. Screw hand pumps.

rick21793
06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I used to make fun of all the people who wasted over 200 dollars on a battery grease gun. Then a sub left one on a job and we took it back to the shop. About 2 weeks later he came back to get it and the next day i ordered 3 of them.

Lynden-Jeff
06-21-2006, 01:16 AM
With a numatic one how do you know how many shots of grease are going in? Excuse my noobieness but I have yet to grease my new ZTR and need to purchase a grease gun!

Cheers
Jeff

JFCizek II
06-21-2006, 01:42 AM
The way that I feel about lever grease guns is IF and When I grow a third arm, I will go back to using lever style grease guns. In my truck I carry a pistol grip and a Lincoln 14.4V . In my shop I have 3 or 4 Pistol grips and 2 Lincoln (7.2 and 14.4v) plus a Lincoln 30 gal. air greaser. On the family farm I only use the air greaser or pistolgrips on all of the tractors,choppers,wagons,bailers etc.etc.

Tharrell
06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
I had a lever/pipe unit until it was stolen along with most of my stuff last year. I noticed my dealer used a pistol/hose unit. I bought one because it's more flexible and doesn't take 3 hands. I use Shell grease in it.