PDA

View Full Version : raised patio with paver top, AZ

diyher
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Question: I live in Arizona and I'm building a raised patio 12" to maybe 18" at most in the back of the yard. The perimeter is horseshoe shaped and retaining wall blocks are embedded in concrete footing. What do I back fill with to raise the inside? Gravel? Dirt? I plan to finish the top with pavers or flag stone. This will be contained on all sides by the retaining wall. We have minimal rain or freezing. Does this still need drainage?

I was thinking of lining with fabric and then backfilling with 3/4 gravel until 3-6" of the top adding sand and setting the pavers (filling between with sand/mortar mixture). Thanks for any info!!

hoskm01
06-16-2006, 04:42 PM
diyher,
Use an ABC mix to fill up to the level you want. Then on the top 2 or so inches, a layer of good clean sand. You cna get both from any local dirt/rock supply yard. (There are lots of them). You should not need any fabric barrier if you lay a paver top. If you use flagstone, youd be better off with a pre-emergent around the flagstone if you go with a sand filler. If you use mortar, you might get a weed or two in the crakcs a few years down the road, but I wouldnt be too concerned with it. Go with the pavers, they are pretty fun and good looking. Dont forget to compact everything. And with an ABC base, you need not any drainage concerns from the patio itself, it will provide more than enough absorbtion along with the brick. Enjoy