PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a Leaning Tree

loweride
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
We don't know what to do with our leaning tree. It has been like this for years and the roots are strong enough to keep it where it is. We even tried moving it upright with a skid loader and it didn't move. So we left it. So we know it is staying where it is, but we'd like to "train" it to continue growing more upright.

What is the best way to train it to grow upright?

http://www.midwestattachment.com/images/brad/leaningtree.jpg

We had it tied to that stake you can see in the picture. That didn't do much. Should we keep doing that and tighten it up when we can? That stake doesn't seem strong enough to me.

Another person suggested pruning the left side and make it grow on the right side. This seems like it would look funny.

Any other suggestions?

doobee
07-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Bump

i have the same problem. Any suggestions out there?

lawnmaniac883
07-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Register to www.arboristsite.com and post your question over there.

These guys know all about rigging cables and tree saver devices that can help ya out.

rider
07-04-2006, 11:20 PM
inject water into the ground, deep root injector, till well saturated. should be able to push by hand up right. stake on four sides. fertilize twice a year.remove posts after one year.
also put a mulch bed under so as to keep mower away from. odds of success 50/50

ATVracer
07-05-2006, 12:13 AM
It looks too far gone to me. Maybe have someone dig it up with a backhoe and replant it.

topsites
07-05-2006, 01:10 AM
May I?

Trees weigh a lot, and so do the branches and leaves...
What I would suggest is get an adjustable tie-down strap and with that pole you have, extend a strap to the tree and put tension on it.

Then, where you see the other white circle I added, TRIM branches on the down side so as to lighten the load, this will help balance the weight to the opposite side. You will have to prune this tree a few times and keep tension on that line. You will need to check the strap frequently to make sure you don't 'choke' the tree, adjust as needed.

And it may be too far gone, but it should help some...

Like so:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/leaningtree.jpg