PDA

View Full Version : Our New truck F-650 Dump

Fordsuvparts
06-12-2006, 09:43 PM
My company is going tommorow to purchase a new 2006 F-650 Dump with the cummins diesel 230 HP,7 speed with dual 50 gallon tanks. This is a picture of a similar truck, i forgot the camera today when we were there test driving it, We are going to get it for around $42,000 it will be are first Brand new truck.http://www.truckpaper.com/images/truck/fullsize/72427350.jpg

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
06-12-2006, 10:10 PM
That is a nice truck!

MysticLandscape
06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
42k thats cheap, some f350's and 250's are more money than that, but thats because they are nice inside and have all the extras.

tthomass
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
are you sure that its a cummins? i don't know about the larger trucks but cummins is dodge and international is ford and iz* is chevy

Gravel Rat
06-13-2006, 11:57 PM
That truck has a ISB Cummins its a optional motor in the F-650 its the cheapest motor option along with the 6.0 . If that same F-650 was C-7 Cat power then the price would be easy 50,000 or more.

I think your going to find the 230 Cummins really underpowered but then again you only have a 3 ton truck so its not going to be pulling much weight anyways.

Its always nice to have a new truck thou the first dent hurts the rest after that adds character :laugh:

tthomass
06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
curios.............what about the tranny(s)?

Brianslawn
06-14-2006, 10:55 PM
shouldve went cat.

lawnmaniac883
06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Atleast he didnt get a stroker :rolleyes:

Mike33
06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Not to knock your truck, but it will be underpowered. need the larger cat engine and a 8 sp. A truck like that i want it tagged and powered to haul 12 ton. You will have a hard time doing that especially where i live here in the mountains. My body has a nice kenworth that can do that and only had 50 some in it. The hoist dont look that heavy and the bed is not to impressive either.
Mike

xcopterdoc
06-14-2006, 11:18 PM
We have several in our rental fleet. No probs so far besides a broken front shock mount. As for the Cummins vs Cat.. we have far more problems with our Cat powered equipment than Cummins. I've worked on em both from 4 cyl up to 14 cyl. I'll take the Cummins.. I don't get raped on parts or labor if we need to have dealer support. And the 6.0.. they can keep that POS.

Wolfie's L&L
06-17-2006, 03:00 PM
If you dont mind me barging in, about how much did you pay for the new beast?

Jason

grassmanvt
06-17-2006, 03:13 PM
read his first post, about 42k

Fordsuvparts
06-17-2006, 11:10 PM
The truck in the picture is not the truck I bought, Mine has a much nicer bed and an 18 ton hoist. It has dual 50 gallon tanks and a 7 speed. I got cummins because it is easier to work on and parts are a lot cheaper. I rented 2 of the F-650's with the cat c-7 and they were nice, but not for all the extra money and less warranty. I have driven the same truck loaded with 11 tons of gravel and had it up to 80 with ease, not that i drive that fast, it also had to be under CDL. My other dump truck is a 4600 LP international and it is a great truck but under powered with the 7.3 and a 5 speed. After taxes and all about $45,000, I also got setup with a ford Fleet number and can get better deals because I have more than 15 trucks or pcs of equipment.

climber
06-18-2006, 12:50 AM
If you dont mind me asking. I was reading about some of your fleet and you have a bucket truck. So is this you business or a company you work for and what kind of work do you do? And also who makes your lift Altec, Aerial Lift of Connecticut, or Hi-Ranger and how do you like it?

Thanks Dan

tylermckee
06-18-2006, 12:59 AM
The truck in the picture is not the truck I bought, Mine has a much nicer bed and an 18 ton hoist. It has dual 50 gallon tanks and a 7 speed. I got cummins because it is easier to work on and parts are a lot cheaper. I rented 2 of the F-650's with the cat c-7 and they were nice, but not for all the extra money and less warranty. I have driven the same truck loaded with 11 tons of gravel and had it up to 80 with ease, not that i drive that fast, it also had to be under CDL. My other dump truck is a 4600 LP international and it is a great truck but under powered with the 7.3 and a 5 speed. After taxes and all about $45,000, I also got setup with a ford Fleet number and can get better deals because I have more than 15 trucks or pcs of equipment.

11 ton in a 650? sounds a bit on the illegal side.

hosejockey2002
06-18-2006, 01:27 PM
11 ton in a 650? sounds a bit on the illegal side

Yeah, just a bit. With 11 tons in a 650 you're probably running around 34-36,000 GVW, well into the CDL zone. If you want to stay under CDL your payload will probably be no more than 6-7 tons, depending on your truck's empty weight. Around here the commercial vehicle enforcement guys are pretty sharp. If they see an F650 with "under 26,000" on the door and the box stuffed completely full of dirt they will KNOW that you are way overweight. And then you better get out your checkbook and start writing until they tell you to stop. It's better to just stay legal and license the truck and drivers for the loads you will haul.

Gravel Rat
06-18-2006, 03:45 PM
On a 3 ton truck like the F-650 no more than 5 ton maybe 6 at the most if your putting 11 ton which I serious doubt on a single axle its grossly overloaded.

Like I meantioned a few times you stupid rules in the USA that states you need a CDL to operate a single axle truck with a gross weight above 26,000lbs is totally idiotic. All that creates is people trying to do jobs with a undersized truck which causes more accidents.

A holder of a regular drivers license here can operate any 2 axle vehical with any gvw. Towing trailers thats another story you need a endorsement if the trailer is on juice or electric brakes if its totally on air then you need a Class (1) A CDL.

Almost 90% of the single axle trucks here have a registered gross of 30-35,000lbs.

Most of the time nobody uses single axle dumps there isn't any work for one you can't haul enough to make the truck pay for itself. If the truck was say a single axle 5 ton with a hooklift or rolloff system where the truck was multi use then it would pay for itself.

I personally wouldn't buy a Ford F-650 or F-750 because you have lousy engine choices. I would look at a Sterling L8500 get it spec'ed with a 35,000lb gvw Series 60 power and 9spd.

AintNoFun
06-18-2006, 04:01 PM
why are a lot of you not saying anthing positive about this guys new truck.. not everyone can say sweet truck congrats.. instead oh i woulda get this motor, or i woulda got a sterling... lets see your guys trucks in this class..

good luck on the truck man i hope it makes you lots of money...

Gravel Rat
06-18-2006, 04:34 PM
There is no money to be made with a truck that size. Sure a new truck is nice but its going to take a few days of hauling to pay off the 1000 dollars a month truck payment.

AintNoFun
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
the guy seems to have a decent size fleet so i assume he makes money at what he is doing... and there is a ton of money to be made with the 450 you were going to buy?

There is no money to be made with a truck that size. Sure a new truck is nice but its going to take a few days of hauling to pay off the 1000 dollars a month truck payment.

Fordsuvparts
06-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I think i need to clear the air, My self (Kirby) and my 2 brothers own the company. I am 28, Kenley is 26, and My other Brother Kody is A cert. Horticulurest who is 25. I don't think We would still be in business if we weren't making money. It is our first new truck, Any way we will be using the truck to haul topsoil, rock, lava rock, brick chips and mulch to and from my lot to Customers homes that we are doing landscaping for or exc work for our biggest money maker building retaining walls. It will also be used to pull a tag trailer to move equipment. The most we can legally haul in the truck is about 8 tons and that is probably the most we will haul on public roads. We also own a 30 acre farm that we dig topsoil off so it will be loaded much heavier to move the dirt around the site and the 2 miles drive to our landscape supply center, were we stock pile some for our customers.

Climber - the Aerial Lift is what the bucket Truck has on it ,I belive it has a 60' reach, We bought it out of NY state last Fall. We have a full landscape supply center, we do basicly any type of hardscape construction including landscaping, retaining walls and paver install. About 30% of out business is tree work, we also do mowing mostly commercial and some residential mowing. We have mostly commercial accounts that we do maintance for and have year round contracts with, Including the local school system which we just landed last month. Any type of exc work and hauling a lot of drainage work and tons of yard prep with our power rake and skid loaders. We currently have 17 employees and our bidding a lot of state jobs, so that we can by some larger eqipment and get in to some of the bigger markets.

hosejockey2002
06-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Sounds like you guys are pretty well squared away. I am curious as to why you want to stay under CDL requirements with that size truck. You mentioned you want to pull a tag trailer with it to move equipment. If you are moving equipment of any size or weight with the truck you will be in CDL range unless the truck is totally empty. If you pull your T190 on a trailer and have even just a couple of yards of gravel in the back you will be over 26,000 GCWR, and since the T190 will weigh more than 10,000 on a trailer you will be in the CDL class A range. You may just as well accept the fact that you cannot effectively and legally operate a truck of that size without your drivers having CDLs.

Fordsuvparts
06-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I should have 2 drivers with cdl's by the end of the month, we also have a larger truck that we are looking to buy later on this summer. A lot of our work is out of town so when we pull the tag trailer, the dump will probavly just have tools in it. we have suppliers set up locally in E-town, Bowling Green, Louisville, and in Nashville when we are out of town working. The truck will be used mainly to haul pea gravel, mulch, gravel, dga and retaining wall supplies to the customers jobsites.