PDA

View Full Version : New Driveway

greenone
06-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I am currently getting quotes for my driveway in Southern Ontario. I have been told that highway grade is more durable than the standard by one company. The second company said that highway grade is cheaper and he wouldn't put it on his own driveway.

I want the best product for the fairest price. I don't want to pay a couple thousand dollars to see cracks in 4-5 years. I have a pickup, trailer and a civic that parks on the driveway.

Will standard pavement/asphalt do it?

Mike33
06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Im not an asphalter, but how many cars run down a road in a days time to your driveway? Most roads have a base coat then reg. surface. I lve in small town and the road in front of my house gets more traffic in 45 minutes than my driveway in 30 days.
mike

zedosix
06-13-2006, 09:17 PM
We sub many asphalt driveways here in Eastern Ontario. The problem we see with the highway grade, or commercial type asphalt is the size of the stone in the mix. Often after a driveway is paved with this type you will see large stone at the surface sometimes they come loose with time. It should out last the driveway mix but is harder to pave a completely smooth surface. Our customers are too picky so we now use the smoother (smaller aggragate) asphalt. Just takes longer too harden.

Good luck.

tylermckee
06-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Either would work just fine for your private driveway. If you end up having any problems with it later on down the road it will most likely be from your sub base settling. proper sub base prep is what will make your driveway last, not which asphalt mix you choose.

greenone
06-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the regular type of mix. I will make sure the base is prep'd properly.