PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide!!

needamower
06-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I hate to start another thread about zero turn mowers, but I need some help. I have narrowed it down to these 4 choices...

Toro z400 estate series, 48" - $4999
Exmark Lazer CT, 48" - $5000
Hustler Fastrak 52"/20hp - $4850
Cub Cadet z-force 50 - $3999

I will be mowing just over an acre for now, but will eventually be up to over 2 acres with the parents and in-laws yards. I also know that most of the choices are over-kill for what I am mowing, but the wife said get one that is going to last and be done with it. Can you guys supply with me pros, cons between them? The cub obviously is the cheapest in price, but I am nervous about the trans, gearbox in those. I love my personal pace mower, but 2 hours of mowing to get the yard done is starting to take it's toll. Please help!! Thanks.

DJL50
06-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Hello!

I have been doing research for over a month now. I have a little over two acres to mow myself. I think I am going to go with the Toro 400 Estate model you talk about but with the 52" model. The main reason is the 52" has a 19hp Kaw twin cylinder motor on it. (the 48" has a single cylinder Kholer) My current rider, A Wheelhorse lawn tractor, has a 17hp Kaw on it and it has never needed serviced in 15 years. Only oil, plug and air filter. The 52" model around here is $5,700. But see no reason to not get the 48" if that is what you want.
I started to look at the Cub models because I have a huge dealer close to home but just don't feel they are worth the money in the end. The deck is the first thing to go on a mower. The deck on the Toro Estate is made of 7 gage steel. the best in the bizz. If you compare the decks on the Toro vs Cub you will see a huge difference.
If you don't know already. Toro and Exmark are the same. The Toro is the 400 estate and the Exmark is the CT. The Exmark has a Briggs engine. Check this out but think the Toro has an off set deck to one side so you can get closer to trim. The Lexmark is centered.
You can drive yourself crazy looking but think you are on the right track with Toro Estate.

Palmer'sLS
06-13-2006, 01:13 AM
get the fastrac and be done with mowers for the rest of your mowing career

nmurph
06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
ditto........read the Hustler forum and see how the factory treats the customer when they have a problem..........top notch...

wingnutdave
06-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I do a bit over a half an acre with a Mini Fastrac and that (36/15) and it puts a grin on my face every time I do the lawn. Fast, fun, and as Dustin said, its the last mower your going to buy.

fishinpa
06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I vote Hustler also. I have a hare over a 1/2 acre, have to mow it about twice a week right now & never complain about having to do it!

needamower
06-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a 42" Mini Z tomorrow. I seem to be getting a good price on it, so I hope to have it by the weekend. The information on this board has been great.

fishinpa
06-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I am going to pull the trigger on a 42" Mini Z tomorrow. I seem to be getting a good price on it, so I hope to have it by the weekend. The information on this board has been great.

42" or 52"? (not that it matters to me)

nmurph
06-14-2006, 12:15 PM
fish, it sounds like you still like that mft? we have been very dry until week before last. just an occassional shower. when we got our first decent rain i could stand at the window and see the grass green up over the afternoon. i had not had much to cut until then. i have had my fertilizer out since early april. yesterday TS Alberto brought us 3.5 inches in 24 hours. nice and slow, i don't think any of it ran off. it looks like i will get to cut some grass this saturday. yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

fishinpa
06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Yes, I "still" enjoy mowing the yard. Getting the lawn up & growing has been my MAJOR project for the past 17 months. Mowing to me now, is just "enjoying the fruits of my labor". I don't even mind that I've had to do it about 2+ time a week on average since the begining of the season. That won't last much longer though, I hear the heat is supposed to moving in on us over the next week or so.

The back yard was 3/4 moss when I started. It's fescue now and it's still a bit thin, but next year will be another story. I'm going to over-seed again after this falls' aeration!