PDA

View Full Version : So what happened to Bill??

Squizzy246B
06-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Anybody heard from Bill - UNISCAPER....must have got real busy??

DVS Hardscaper
06-13-2006, 10:27 PM
He prolly went octapus fishin.

iluvscag
06-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Member his big Million dollar project.

mrusk
06-14-2006, 08:13 AM
This section and the heavy equipment section are not the same without him. He was the most knowledgeable person on this site without a doubt.

DVS Hardscaper
06-15-2006, 03:45 PM
.....He was the most knowledgeable person on this site without a doubt.

I respectfully disagree.

I can back up my basis for my disagreement, but it's neither here nor there.

iluvscag
06-15-2006, 04:04 PM
This section and the heavy equipment section are not the same without him. He was the most knowledgeable person on this site without a doubt.

Wow..........

fall46
06-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I have read Bill's posts on these message boards and a few others for years seen his work in publications along with his name/work published in trade magazines etc. I have also read of stories of having his supplies helicopter dropped due to inaccessible terrain site conditions . I think his knowledge base his superior and if opinions differ from his suggestions its because most dont know the soil/climate and geo-physical variables that he deals with in CA. Additionally the building codes/requirements in CA are far more stringent than anywhere else in the country with the exception of coastal areas in the gulf. Sorry DVS I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment

DVS Hardscaper
06-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Good. Now we finally got some activity goin on in this thread!

Bill is also the guy that said Isuzu trucks were turds, then 2 months later wrote that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread as if it was his first ever mentioning of the trucks!!! :)

Bill is also the guy that said the full size Nissan trucks had a major recall. then when asked to supply where he got such knowledge, instead of saying, he resorted to name calling :) needless to say, no recalls took place :)

Yeah, poor 'ol dude got called out big time on another message board by multiple members.

Pro featured him. And L&L mentions MANY names :)

He means well. Just gets a lil carried away.

BTW - can we see any pics of materials being helicoptered in? If possible, please supply the link. That would be cool to see.

cedarcroft
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
well his knowledge of Trucks and recalls may be questionable and maybe some steam is blown around occasionally, but from my limited experience here, he seems to be VERY knowledgeable from a technical standpoint and although his quoting of building practices and engineering may be a bit extreme, it is a good reference point to start with. not all areas will need to have the extreme over engineering that Bill speaks of, but its good to be aware of what is out there.

fall46
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I cant comment on any of the statements he's made that u alluded to. And I'm sure he may have contradicted himself or said a misleading statement at some point. However, everyone is guilty of this, you, myself, friends, family etc. My intention is not to get in pissing match about this but I have read a few posts where u have sparred with him unrelated to anything regarding Trucks which I have no problem with. But when you make it a point to refute people paying him a compliment I think its unnecessary.

The bottom line is his technical expertise are informative @ times fairly detailed and sometimes even hard to follow... but a great resource to learn from. After all thats what everyone reads these boards for.

sheshovel
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh common DVS you know nothing about him. That Helicopter statement was a joke.
Get with it..you have not contributed to this board Hardscaping forum at all compared to the hours that he has devoted to helping others on this site and in the industry. He knows his **** and is exellent at what he does. Nobody can compare themselves or others to him here he is second to none in his broad range of expierience and knowlage..
He speaks at conventions throughout the state helping new businesses learn to do things right. He knows materials and what works and what won't. He is also very succesfull in his own biz.
So if you don't know what your talking about..Please just ****

fall46
06-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Actually the comment about the helicopter was true :dancing:

and I quote

I have more shots, and this is during construction, the walls will be complete after tomorrow. We already set the palm trees with a helicopter because we could not get a crane in, and the plant beds should get filled in after the stucco guys get out of our way. And we also have 3000 sf of flatwork to pour. That's the one I wa asking about pump prices for, when you get a glimpse of the terrain, you will see why so many finishers. I'de rather drop a few more bucks in manpower that have the mud kick and have to jack it out....

DVS Hardscaper
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Here are 2 of MY favorite memories of 'Ol Bill:

1. About 2 years ago, on another board, someone was axin about skid steers. And 'ol Bill chimes in with something to the assortment of "CATS are the MOST fuel economical skid steers out there"

LOL

Well, we have a CAT. And we also have another brand which the model is the same size rating as our CAT, yet the CAT uses about 50% more fuel!!

So, being so much inaccurate info is frequently posted on these internet message board, I respectfully explained, that I know first hand that such a statement is furthest from reality. Ohhhhh....'ol Bill got his girdle in a twist, he did.

2. Bill at one time owned and may even still own some CAT track driven skid steer. I was thinking of gettin a tracked machine, so we demoed one. Happened to be the same model as the one Bill has. Cat has approx 5 different models of dedicated tracked skid steers. The model we demoed was the 2nd smallest. I hated it. It didnt have ANY BreakOut Force. So I wrote on another board that we demoed a certain unit, that it had NO break out force, as we were use to. And 'ol Bill responded that it was "operator error". LOL Not quite! When a machine is the 2nd smallest machine the manufacturer offers - it's capabilities WILL be limited, otherwise the manufacturer would NOT offer larger units :)

Bill's knowledge of retaining wall construction is excellent.

But with anything on the internet, no matter who it is, I look for how well people can back up their claims / opinions. Pictures say a thousand words, as well as providing sources for info shared.

Sean Adams
06-16-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm not going to involve myself here in who knows more about what....

But I will let you know I spoke with Bill and we discussed his absence. He told me to explain very simply that he was spending too much time online and the site and it was in his best interest to take an internet/forum break for awhile - nothing more, nothing less....

Squizzy246B
06-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Well thanks Sean....may as well shutdown the thread then...before we really hit the gutter.