PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hand held chop saw for pavers?

Pro Lawn LLC
06-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Looking to purchase a new chop saw for pavers. I would prefer one with a 12" blade. Will probably stick with a Stihl TS-400, but we also have looked at a Partner (don't know much about them) and one made by Redmax (HC510DV) looked nice with the dust vacuum and wheels include, but only 49cc engine. I would appreciate hearing everyones opinion. Thanks

XXL Hardscaper
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
I do not like the Stihl TS400. It has a horrible filtration system and they put the filter right were all the dust blows so the filter has to be checked, cleaned, or replaced very often. The ergonomics aren't very good either.

Pro Lawn LLC
06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
What chop saw do you prefer?

XXL Hardscaper
06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Partner or Wacker.

PAPS Landscape Design
06-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I have (5) Partner k750's. we had 5-6 of the old k700, but they all went, guys love the new 750, thats the only brand I will buy, although I looked at the Husqvrna one and it looked respectable..

Fordsuvparts
06-13-2006, 10:54 PM
We have almost all Stihl equipment and I love all of it except our TS400 concrete saw which I agree has the worst placement for the filter,You have to blow it out every time you use or it will not start. We are on our second one and it will be our last. The wacker was a pretty good Machine, We have rented one a few times.

Mike33
06-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I do not like the Stihl TS400. It has a horrible filtration system and they put the filter right were all the dust blows so the filter has to be checked, cleaned, or replaced very often. The ergonomics aren't very good either.
I have the same proplem with an old stihl dont know the model # off hand. I heard stihl has a new one out with a good filter system? are you aware? The problem with it is so heavy. My employee who cuts all of the caps doesent want a new one for this reason. He keeps this old clunker running where i would throw it away but it is lighi and he likes it.
Mike

Squizzy246B
06-15-2006, 07:35 AM
We have the Husquvarna 3120K 16" 125cc's and leaves the Stihl for dead. Much better filtration system and a good machine to service. The older Partners were pretty average but the newer ones go well and are lighter than the Husky...not as much Grunt though. I will get a 14" Partner next for the out of position work. The Husky is at its best downhand and full throttle. Down here the Partner is also about $300 cheaper than the Husky.

Pro Lawn LLC
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Squizzy,
Wow - 125 cc's - that's alot of saw. What are you cutting with that - retaining wall blocks? We rented a stihl ts400, pretty much a brand new machine, and it did a nice job cutting, but it was quite heavy and the air filter is in a bad spot. We are going to rent the partner 750 and see how the guys like that. Appreciate the responses!

Squizzy246B
06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
We cut 14" concrete and recon limestone blocks. The dust can be hell if no water is available. The bigger Partner is a good option. The Stihl is a very well balanced and accurate saw but the we couldn't live with the air system and consequent hard starting. The Husky eats 4" concrete like you wouldn't believe.

Markf
08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
We are considering the Hilti DS-HS 14". Any thoughts? Does anyone use Hilti products?
Mark

forestfireguy
08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
We just suffered the filtration problems mentioned on the ts400. We were cutting wet after a scoring cut dry, maybe 1/2" deep on several block. I was also surprised to see the filter was wet and had liquid concrete goo in the cover when we cleaned it out.

Equinox Lightscapes
08-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Anyone know of a big difference between the Stihl TS460 and 700. Just wondering if the power is a big difference in cutting. Also wondering if I should just go all the way and get the TS800. Will mostly be used for cutting wall block and pavers.
The 700 and 800 have the filter placed more on top instead of the rear, I'm guessing this will help with them sucking so much dust and the clogging problems everyone seems to have.
Just received prices today of $1000 on the 460 and $1200 on the 700, without the blade.
TIA

promark51
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Before my comment on chopsaws, I would like to introduce myself and say that I thoroughly enjoy this forum.....its chock full of info and its good to know there are sites like this involving landscaping/hardscaping!

What I have seen is alot of landscapers "knocking" the Stihl series of chops, specifically the TS4XX. I have used other brands/models in the past and they all have there advantages/disadvantages, but having been in the business of hardscaping for over 10 years I must say, I couldn't live without my 3 TS400's.

To be quite honest, when we picked up our first Stihl, I did have quite a few problems with it...most noteably the "hard starting" issue. But, after talking with our vendor from Stihl, he told us that the most critical aspect of the Stihl saws is the unique choke setup. Most of you probably know it already, but the three positions are there for a reason and need to be used in the correct order depending on the temperature of the saw (hot start/cold start). The Stihl manual on these saws are pretty straight forward and clearly state this fact. Since following the proper starting techniques, the only real problem I have had with our saws were the rip cords failing......an issue any recoil started maching will have.

Also, and just as important, is the filtration system. Yes, the setup could be better on the Stihl saws, but if cleaned on a regular basis with an air gun, its easy as pie. I will be the first to admit that coming back to the shop after 10-12 hours in the field and having to maintain/clean the equipment is a pain, but well worth it in the long run.

All in all, as I said, I love my Stihl's and wouldnt trade them for anything. These saws run 6 days a week with a thorough cleaning once a week and we have no problems. Plenty of power to get through those retaining wall blocks and a good amount of precision/accuracy for those delicate cuts. Good all around saws.

Anyways, theres my two cents....I plan on contributing as much as possible and will be getting some pics up of some projects current and past. Nice to meet all of ya!