PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

RedWolf
06-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey guys.I have a costumer that has a good bit of shade in her yard.She wants my to put sod down.I would like to know what kind for grass would grow well in the shade?

richallseasons
06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
try selling her astroturf

Diablo
06-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, this kind of depends on what type of grass the customer already has. In Florida you would probably be safe with either St. Augustinegrass, centipedegrass or bahiagrass. If this customer has a kentucky fescue type lawn, you could go with a fine fescue, but be aware that these :usflag: sometimes do not hold up to heat that well.:usflag:

Need a Little Trim
06-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Depends on the tree St. Aug is great for it in the south but initially they will need a liquid firt around the root bed of the tree. The tree uses the most nutrients out of the soil so this is necessary to promote growth. IMO of course some may disagree.

AWJ Services
06-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Centipede needs about 70% sun.
St Augustine is your only chose.
Georgia is too hot for Fescue muchless Fla.

RedWolf
06-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Her yard is all bahiagrass. When they laid it the didnt lay any under the tree. I guess Ill go with that and see what happens.

jas4906
06-13-2006, 11:16 PM
St. Augustine "Palmetto" is what you should plant in shady areas. Not St. Augustine "Floratam".. Palmetto grows better in shady areas.

AWJ Services
06-14-2006, 08:54 AM
St. Augustine "Palmetto"

Ditto.

Super Sod has there version Called "Mercedes".

Does well also.

palm boy
06-14-2006, 10:20 AM
go with St. Augustine DEL MAR. Palmetto will work but DEL MAR is an even prettier grass. It has also tested #1 St. Augustine variety for shade grown in field test. Not sure, but DEL MAR may be only available in plugs. I know that Home Depot carries it and the other day I saw it at Wally World here.

Diablo
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
St. Augustinegrass is generally considered a little better for your climate, but if she has bahiagrass throughout the rest of the yard, and it's standing up to the heat okay, you should go with bahiagrass under the tree as well. good luck.:usflag: