PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Storage

Mack77
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey guys...

I've pulled a set of hydro wheel motors from a Walker and i'm looking to store them indefinatally until they are needed. I cleaned up the outside of the hydro units and would like to know if there's a specific way to store these. I was thinking i'd just wrap them in bags, and set them away in a box in a safe place.

Is it necessary to drain the old oil out of the hydros and replace with new oil before storing the units, or will they be fine just the way they are for a few years in the box.

Thanks!

Restrorob
06-14-2006, 07:16 AM
IMO, I would drain the old oil and refill with new oil completely, Then cap them off. This would prevent any moister from entering and cause surface rust on internal parts. Upon reuse drain the storage oil and install.

ed2hess
06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
IMO, I would drain the old oil and refill with new oil completely, Then cap them off. This would prevent any moister from entering and cause surface rust on internal parts. Upon reuse drain the storage oil and install.
Any chance of getting air in there since he has them off the unit and can't run them?

Restrorob
06-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Any chance of getting air in there since he has them off the unit and can't run them?

I would think if the motors are sat with a hose connector facing up and oil poured in the air would purge it's self as it does when a oil filter it sat straight up and pre-filled.

muddstopper
06-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Definatley fill with new oil and than cap off. A hydraulic motor or pump that sets empty, even caped off will rust internally and seize. We have stored used and new hydraulic motors and pumps for years at a time before using them, and always filled with oil and capped. I also might suggest that if the hydrualics are used and moisture might already be present, that you flush the pump/motor with a degreaser before just adding new oil. it isnt that hard to flush, simply spray inside the fitting ports while spinning the shaft by hand. Drain the cleaner and then apply new oil.

Mack77
06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info! I will definatally drain the old oil and replace with new. Degreasing the motor also seems like a good idea as well...any suggestions on a degreaser?

muddstopper
06-15-2006, 03:15 PM
kerosene or diesel fuel should do the trick. the inside of the motors shouldnt be gummed up and all you are trying to do is just flush out any excess moisture. Just pour the fluid into either port and turn the shaft by hand as you pour the fluid in. The fluid should come out the other port as you turn the shaft. Drain and then fill with new oil and cap off both ports, (some hydraulic motors can have three ports, a In and Out as well as a case drain that returns to the tank.)