PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a smart buy?

Mummert's Mowing
06-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I found a 99' Dodge 2500 Cummins. It's a short bed, club cab, with a Leer cap. It has an auto tranny and 128,000 miles on it. It also has a Fisher plow with it. The guy is asking 15k for it. Would this be a smart purchuse knowing that Dodge has a history of failing transmissions.

Keep in mind that this would be my first vehicle being that I am 15.

tthomass
06-14-2006, 10:42 PM
test drive and don't be nice..........put that pedal on the damn floor from a stop and pay attention to shifts and transitions or delays

find out about tranny maintenace

have the bands been adjusted? fluid?

also..........find out about the pumps, the tranny isn't the only prob

you have a lift pump in the tank lifting to the injector pump containing the electronics..........LP gets weak doesn't push the PSI it should, IP doesn't get enough fuel to cool correctly and cooks the electronics

the result is a weak $250 pump kills your $1500 pump and then if you can't do it yourself you'll be look'n at lots more in labor

solution is put a pressure gauge on the LP to monitor it.........hesitation under full throttle would def make me want to have the pumps tested before buying

"it runs just fine" so what.............get that thing checked out, and see if the front end seems swaying/loose.........if so you need new bushings in the front end......

so you've got tranny, pumps and bushings oh yeah, the block

i don't remember the years but look on the block next to a 1" thick bundle of wires..........if you see "53" thats the bad block........some were made in diff country and the channels that the coolant run through to cool the block were too small.............blocks cracked, lots of them

there you go.......pumps, block, tranny and bushings

welcome to Dodge