PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever put Air Shocks on Rear?

stuffdeer
06-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey Everyone,

I was talking it over with my dad today about the rear of my truck sagging when loaded with my ATV, or even with my little trailer, it kinda sagged, and asked what to do.

Well, I said get helper springs,

And he's like NO!.

I was like what, then what? And he suggested I bought air shocks, so I did, and we will put them on next weekend.

Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-shocks-absorbers-82-04-Chev-GMC-S-Series-Truck_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ019QQitemZ8074131125QQrdZ1

Thanks, Mike

Lynden-Jeff
06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Airbag systems around here are usually around $3000-$4000. Ive never heard of air shocks (I assume differen't then adjustable GAS shocks) but id be wear of any shocks that cost $49. And if im not mistaken another leaf in the rear of your truck would help the sag not the shock. I always thought shock was just ride comfort not load value.

Cheers
Jeff

lawnmaniac883
06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I have seen air shocks before, they arent all they are cracked up to be. Helpers with airbags is the way to go if you are worried about sag.

J&R Landscaping
06-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I think airbags are a better way to go!

landscape guy
06-14-2006, 10:20 PM
i have a 96 1500 gmc and its sits to low with the float on , i put regular air bags they where firestone brand , they work amazing , in the winter i put 1500 lbs of salt and tailgate salter and sits great installed in a couple of hours.

bugspit
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
add another leaf spring and use two overload springs under each spring. doesn't ride like a log wagon, at least I don't think so, and doesn't sag...any.

got mine at a junkyard for $10.00. :drinkup:

landscape guy
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
i bought my air bags{or duel mother inlaws} for just over 200.00 and its been three years no leaks.

leadarrows
06-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I have owned and used something like twenty sets of air shocks in my time. I use to sell them and have probable installed 500 sets or more and you guys have never heard of them?
Man I guess I really am getting old. LOL
Air shocks work well for leveling your ride and can increase your load capacity some but air bags will do that job better.
I had air shocks on my 68 el camino so I could haul more weight and it worked fine until I had a load of seed beans on it and one blew out. I made it to where I was going but my tires were rubbing.
I would just add a leaf or use over load springs for that reason. Air shocks and air bags work great till they leak or blow out. Springs are more reliable IMO.
Air shocks do have lower cost and ease of installation going for them. If all your worried about is the trailer tongue weight for small to medium sized trailers air shocks will get you by for a while. Figure about 2 years of life on average. I still have a set of old Monro's that hold air and there 20 years old but mostly I use to get a couple of years out of a set.

If you decide on air shocks run the air lines to a T so if you lose air pressure in one you lose it in both. Last thing you want to have happen is to blow out one shock and drop just one side of your truck down while the other side stays up pulling a trailer at sixty.

scottishmaximus
06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
If you decide on air shocks run the air lines to a T so if you lose air pressure in one you lose it in both. Last thing you want to have happen is to blow out one shock and drop just one side of your truck down while the other side stays up pulling a trailer at sixty.

I understand your reasoning but this may also create a problem. When cornering one air bag or shock will collapse, filling the other, further aiding the problem.

leadarrows
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
I understand your reasoning but this may also create a problem. When cornering one air bag or shock will collapse, filling the other, further aiding the problem.
You mean if one ruptures?
That doesn't happen if you bust one you lose all the air. If you mean just from weight transfer...not to worry.
You still have the springs, a sway bar and the shocks themselves are designed to slow and dampen the movement of the suspension. I always hated the way my Z and TA's handled with the rear lower than the front like they came from the factory so I put air shocks on them the first chance I got. Never had a problem with them and I put them through the ringer.

TLS
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Airshocks....Is it 1981 again?

stuffdeer
06-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Lol, My Dad used air shocks around then.

I'm gonna give them a try, and let everyone know

scottishmaximus
06-16-2006, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=leadarrows]You mean if one ruptures?
QUOTE]

No, just under regular driving body role will increase due to one shock compressing air into the other, raising it. Your vehile's suspension was designed to prevent body roll, but the air shocks set up this way would degrade ride quality noticeably.

leadarrows
06-16-2006, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=leadarrows]You mean if one ruptures?
QUOTE]

No, just under regular driving body role will increase due to one shock compressing air into the other, raising it. Your vehicle suspension was designed to prevent body roll, but the air shocks set up this way would degrade ride quality noticeably.
Well all I can say is in all the years I used them I never noticed this to be the case. If anything just the opposite is true. I suppose different suspensions might react differently.

oldrustycars
06-16-2006, 08:55 AM
i worked at Gabriel in the 70's. they make Hi-Jackers air shocks. air shocks ara crutch, at best. shock mounts are NOT a load bearing member of the suspension. springs hold up the vehicle, not the shocks. i've seen many broken air shocks and shock mounts caused by using air shocks to make up for weak springs. as has been stated here already, get overload springs or air bags.

Proscapez LLC
06-19-2006, 02:02 AM
I have had those same shocks since 1998 when I put then on my 98 s10 to make up for the weak rear springs then I transfered them to my 2000 then to my 2001 sonoma. I bought them at autozone for $50 with a lifetime warranty.
I check the air pressure once a year. they dont leak!