PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding Bermuda onto a St. Augustine lawn?

jread
06-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I live in Austin and the climate is absolutely terrible for a tropical grass like St. Augustine (though all the builders use it for some stupid reason). I would like to go to a more heat/drought tolerant grass that can survive in our brutally hot and dry summers. I've seen many successful Bermuda lawns as well as some with Buffalo. I would like to slowly convert my St. Augustine lawn to Bermuda, but am not quite sure how to do it. I tried spreading Bermuda seed over the St. Augustine and then raking a layer of compost over it, but a bunch of birds came into my yard and ate most of the seed. Will it still germinate eventually or is there some other measure I will have to take? I don't have a ton of money to put into this so I'd like to overseed if possible. I was watering daily after I spread the seed but stopped after I saw all the birds pecking around in the lawn.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lawnmaniac883
06-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Seems to me atleast in florida if you dont want bermuda or bahia to come into your lawn then it will. Just wish upon a star that you have a perfect st.augustine lawn, hehe.

Anyway, not sure if you have nice thick lush turf or a desert right now but if it happens to be a desert lawn then till it up, rake it out and put down seed on the bare soil after raking it in or renting a slit seeder. Set up some scare crows or just sit out on the porch with a paintball gun; should keep the birds off. As for overseeding bermuda onto st.augustine it will not give you the results you are looking for. Is your lawn irrigated?

ed2hess
06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
One way you might do this is to stop watering the grass then strip it down with a bagging machiens to the top soil. Then put a slight top dress of soil and plant the seed and water 3 times a day for 14 days...A good time to do this in Austin is August since seed needs 90F On commericial site we do just about the same thing we strip the bermuda in Sept and plant rye grass forthe winter.

jread
06-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

I do not have an automatic irrigation system at the moment.. I mainly use a Nelson RainTrain traveling sprinkler. It seems to do a better job than anything else I've tried.

Another consideration of mine is to try some zoysia plugs. It seems to have the shade-tolerant benefits of St. Augustine while having the drought tolerance of Bermuda. This would be ideal. Could I try installing plugs throughout various parts of the lawn and let it slowly take over? I cannot afford to do a complete rennovation of my lawn right now, but would definitely be up for a slow conversion.. buying the new grass as I can and letting it spread. I don't think the zoysia would have a hard time taking over the wimpy St. Augustine.

Thoughts?

ken0564
06-15-2006, 02:40 AM
i don't think Berm will be any better then St Aug if it ain't irrigated. Many Berm lawns here and they look like crap with no irrigation. No rain here in days, hot and dry. good luck.

ed2hess
06-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Zoysia is not that much better I have a strip between the sidewalk and the curb that has St Aug part way and Zoysia and they both dry up about the same. And no the plugs would never take over St Augustine.

jread
06-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Zoysia is not that much better I have a strip between the sidewalk and the curb that has St Aug part way and Zoysia and they both dry up about the same. And no the plugs would never take over St Augustine.

Well that sucks :(

Everything I've read shows zoysia being much more drought tolerant than St Augustine.

lawnmaniac883
06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
No grass is going to be drought resistant the way you would think of it. Drought resistant means it may not DIE in a drought but will go dormant. No water = no lawn.

jread
06-16-2006, 03:29 PM
No grass is going to be drought resistant the way you would think of it. Drought resistant means it may not DIE in a drought but will go dormant. No water = no lawn.

Ah, I see. I guess that what I'm trying to say is that zoysia seems to require less water than St. Augustine. SA has turned out to be a VERY thirsty grass.

hmartin
06-17-2006, 07:25 PM
A cheap way of turning your St. Augustine to bermuda is keep you grass cut as low as possible, seed bermuda into it and when then bermuda starts getting fairly established spray it with MSMA. The remaining St. Augustine will be smoked. A starter fertilizer will help the seed grow.