PDA

View Full Version : Wind Switch

racerdave
05-30-2001, 04:29 PM
Has anyone used the Hunter Wind Click wind switch for an irrigation system? Are you happy with them? Awful windy here in Kansas....

Kiril
07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
No one uses an anemometer! Most people don't believe wind effects irrigation efficiency. :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
07-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I like to watch the anemometer spin almost as much as I like to watch the Budweiser clock go around and around and around :drinkup:

Kiril
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
These are more fun to watch.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Cm5YDi26L._SL500_AA275_.jpg

hoskm01
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
No one uses an anemometer! Most people don't believe wind effects irrigation efficiency. :rolleyes:
I dont know what the wind is like in other parts of the country, but probably a lot different than here. What if you had a wind click and it was windy, every night, for two weeks, in the heat of the summer? Very few, if any, residential clocks are going to accumulate those missed waterings and make up for it, not that it would really matter after 10-14 days.

Is it THAT windy there at night? You are watering at night, right?

Kiril
07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I dont know what the wind is like in other parts of the country, but probably a lot different than here. What if you had a wind click and it was windy, every night, for two weeks, in the heat of the summer? Very few, if any, residential clocks are going to accumulate those missed waterings and make up for it, not that it would really matter after 10-14 days.

Is it THAT windy there at night? You are watering at night, right?

Wind builds during the day, usually "calm" enough for irrigation in the early morning.

Point being, wind (speed and direction) can play a big factor in irrigation efficiency and should be considered. Irrigation should be delayed at a specific sustained speed and above until it slows. Naturally this needs to have the ability to be manually set per zone, which the wind click does not do. It also would need to have a maximum delay time before allowing watering to continue, wind or not.

Curious though, is there a place that requires irrigation that it is windy 24/7? I'd rather see irrigation in the middle of the day than in a 20 MPH sustained wind.

hoskm01
07-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Wind builds during the day, usually "calm" enough for irrigation in the early morning.

Point being, wind (speed and direction) can play a big factor in irrigation efficiency and should be considered. Irrigation should be delayed at a specific sustained speed and above until it slows. Naturally this needs to have the ability to be manually set per zone, which the wind click does not do. It also would need to have a maximum delay time before allowing watering to continue, wind or not.

Curious though, is there a place that requires irrigation that it is windy 24/7? I'd rather see irrigation in the middle of the day than in a 20 MPH sustained wind.
Agreed. Guess Ive never been any place windy enough for any significant amount of time to think about it or care.

Bluffman
07-12-2009, 11:31 AM
I,ve got one on my system and disconnected it. I'm on a pump system and one day at home during a day off, I noticed it slamming my valves on and off. You can adjust the "restart" wind speed but after messing with it for a while, I realized it would cause more harm than good. I had the combo wind/rain unit and just bypassed the wind contacts and now have a $90 some dollar rain sensor! Live and learn.