PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Hedge Trimmers

VnDrWLawnCare
06-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I am looking for an illustration model of the stihl HS 80 Hedge Trimmers and the cutting blades. I would like to know if there are any torque amounts to the screws holding the blades together, and up into the gearbox. I had them too loose and lost a screw, then too tight and they would not even move.

If anyone can help or has a parts illustration, that would be great.

Thanks Eric

Roger
06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
I have had an HS80 for several years. After taking apart the cutting blade assembly for sharpening, I had trouble with the through-bolts holding the blades together (4 bolts across the length of the blades). Yes, a balance between getting them tight enough to stay, but not over-tightened to squeeze the assembly too tight for operation, ... I undertand.

I believe the problem (no ... the situation) is with the whiz-nuts (is that what they are called, the nuts with serations on the mating surface?). After a single use, the edges get taken down, and hence loose some of their ability to stay tight. I think the serations are directional, that is they are slanted so that they will grab to stay tight.

After loosing a couple of bolts, I have chosen to use the bolts/nuts once or twice, then replace them. A new nut, when snugged down, will not come loose, whereas one that has been off/on a few times will come loose.

I have a bag in my tool box with several new bolts. If I loose one, I put in a new one on the spot. The bolts are not cheap, and can only be bought through a local Stihl dealer, at least that has been my finding.

viper00085
06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
on stihls they use a spacer between the blades (little square spacer in each blade bolt slot) so you dont have to set any torque or adjustment on the blade bolts. you just zip them down tight. You might be missing your spacers if you cant tighten those bolts down. They are not like echos,etc were you can actually lock down the blade with the bolt torque.

viper00085
06-15-2006, 01:38 PM
i tried to post the breakdown but my damn lookup system at the store wont let me (damn copyrights!) Buth these spacers are actually called "sliders" by stihl. maybe someone else can post the breakdown or aski your dealer to fax it or show it to you.

Goodluck
Vinny

VnDrWLawnCare
06-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now that you talk about a slider, i think there might be one missing. It just happens to be the same bolt that came out, and then i overtightened. I will look into that further.

So everything should be snug into the gearbox. Nothing will have a torque rating, or will the couple of screws inside the gearbox have a torque rating?

Thanks

Eric

lawnmaniac883
06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
I just tighten every thing snug on mine and they work fine. Can tighten as much as I want on the bar and no ill effects.