PDA

View Full Version : Removing Grass

jondcoleman
06-15-2006, 08:18 AM
What is the best way to get rid of grass in an area. I have a customer that would like me to remove all of the grass from his backyard. He wants to start from scratch with just soil. Is there a sod removing machine? I don't have a chem. applicator license so I can't use any round up or anything. Any ideas?

Jon Coleman

soccer911
06-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I have my applicators license, but if you buy round-up from Home depot or Lowe's or Wal-Mart I don't think a license is needed. Like I said, I'm not sure.

Kevin

jmurphy
06-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Dont use round-up, just rent a sod cutter for the day. Way faster than roundup.
http://www.bluebirdintl.com

instyle
06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Hire a bobcat to come in, that would be fastest. If he has a back alley just take down a section of fence and the bobcat could do it. There is a Sod cutter, it is a vibrating horizontal knife that goes a set depth and cuts the sod under the roots, but removing it will be heavy heavy.

General Landscaping
06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Rent a sod cutter; set the knife so it cuts just deep enough that the dirt falls out of the roots.(it works for the sandy soil here) You will have to play around some to get the settings right for your soil type and moisture. You can haul a whole yard away in a single axle trailer if the dirt is gone.

There will probably be crop of weed seeds in the soil just waiting for a chance to take off.:cry:

If you are laying sod, keep the seams tight and you may be OK.

jondcoleman
06-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. How fast does the sod cutter cut? The area is about 40 x 30. Not very big. Any idea how long the sod cutter would take?

AintNoFun
06-15-2006, 06:16 PM
why wouldn't you round it up.. who wants to be stuck with a huge pile of sod when you cut it.. id round it up then harley rake it. very minimal debris left over..

General Landscaping
06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. How fast does the sod cutter cut? The area is about 40 x 30. Not very big. Any idea how long the sod cutter would take?
Imagine a slow, homeowner push mower with a small deck..... that's about the speed you're looking at.

cwlawley
06-16-2006, 01:06 AM
^Yeah, your looking at four to five times however long it would take you to mow with a 21" and then you will still need to go back and shovel off the top layer, load it and dump. I did 1/4 acre last year and it took a long, long time.

RedWingsDet
06-16-2006, 01:23 AM

To cut the whole thing, plan on 30minutes. I dont know what kind of truck you have, but once you have it all rolled up you could have the whole job done in 2 hours and all in one truck load.

We do 1200sq foot jobs all day long, just get a sod cutter, its not big enough to justify a skidsteer.

For and idea how long it'll take you, last week we did a 2200 sq ft lawn, tear out and re-sod in one day, actually less than a full day.

K&ALandscaping
06-16-2006, 06:55 PM
For and idea how long it'll take you, last week we did a 2200 sq ft lawn, tear out and re-sod in one day, actually less than a full day.
Notice the key word there "WE"

AWJ Services
06-16-2006, 09:41 PM
The soil is so hard down here a 953 Cat would not cut it much less a sod cutter.
I would plow it,scratch it,claw it Harley rake it or shovel it.
Then rake the grass out and you are ready.
A sod Cutter is like cutting a football Field with a weed eater down here.

I hit the ground with a pick axe and it sounded like a Tuning Fork.:hammerhead: