PDA

View Full Version : ch25s kohler power loss

indiana john
06-15-2006, 02:29 PM
bought my first ztr (used) over the winter and love it up until yesterday. I went out to mow and the motor lost power. Oil is leaking around head fins onto the muffler. Checked oil its at the right level and clean. Motor is a kohler 25hp with 1450 hours. I only got to mow with it about 8 times on my 5 acres. The motor always smoked a little at start up and did use oil but not alot. the motor always seemed to plenty of power until yesterday. Now if I engage the blades it wants to die.NO POWER. What do you guys think? Is it time to shoot this one in the head and get a new motor? Its on a 2000 Exmark 60 .Thanks John

MowerMedic77
06-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Do you have a leakdown tester? Sounds like you may have blown a head gasket(oil on fins+loss of power). Hope this helps:)

fireman649
06-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Check the compression if you have a gauge, should be more than 100 psi(I believe) What does the spark plug on the side that's leaking look like? Is it oil fouled real bad?

tomo
06-16-2006, 07:56 AM
hello, suggestion would be to do a leakdown test/compression test . check plug on that cylinder. Do a search on the topic [well documented].There are many kohlers in use and head gasket failure is not unheard of.Contact kohler as there are upgrades available, to assist in preventing this from reoccuring.My experience has taught me that overloading engine stresses and overheats this engine easily. tomo