PDA

View Full Version : honda tractor clutch issues

Metalmacguyver
06-15-2006, 07:18 PM
chassis #- HT3810-5102160
engine #- G400-1406696

this is a nice beefy tractor but it has some problems with the mechanical pto clutch that is mounted on the front of the engine.

i have this machine to repair it and i thought i had fixed the problem.

1) the mower deck wont shut off. doesnt matter what position the lever is in.
i found that all of the brake pad material on the brake plate had worn away for some reason. as a result the clutch was not being fully dissengaged if at all. i thought that it was caused by age and possibly from being run with the clutch lever only half thrown.

2) i replaced the plate and reassembled the mower. i went to start it and it would not start because there was to much drag on the engine. for some reason the clutch was not letting go and the brake was engaged aswell. so i started it up by engaging the pto and bypassing the pto interlock switch. it starts up no problem. i try disengaging the pto and sparks start flying from the clutch as the brake tries to engage and stop the mowerdeck. obviously the deck is still being powered and the clutch is not dissengaging.

now here are my questions.

WTF is going on with the clutch?
can i adjust it?
is there someting that i am missing?

how old is this tractor?
was this one of the better tractors in its day because it seems like it was?
how much did it sell for when new?

Thanks for all the help!

fireman649
06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I had a 3813 that did the same thing, there is a clutch adjustment to thr right side of battery and under it. Follow the cable from the lever, pull the lever up and down and watch how it operates, and then adjust as needed.
Hope this helps a little.

Steve

Metalmacguyver
06-15-2006, 10:05 PM
does this adjust how far the clutch cable moves?

fireman649
06-16-2006, 12:49 AM
does this adjust how far the clutch cable moves?

I believe it does. If you move the lever and watch how the cable operates, you will understand how it works. That's what I did.

Metalmacguyver
06-17-2006, 07:46 AM
ok, thanks.

does anyone know the age and origional price of this tractor?