PDA

View Full Version : Here is the gear. - split thread

dhenegar
06-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Here is the gear

grass disaster
06-15-2006, 01:01 AM
i don't like the curves but the other ones look ok

looks like it's time for a bigger truck.

can you say......low ride derrrr.....

Envy Lawn Service
06-15-2006, 02:59 AM
The "here's the gear" picture scares me.

It's not the squat, or the idea of pulling the weight...

That's just toooooo much weight to have behind a mini truck.

I wouldn't want to be riding shotgun when you try to stop that!
That's for sure!!!!

Not trying to give you a hard time.
I like the mini trucks OK with one ZTR and small equipment.
But that's my limit.

You need at least a 3/4 ton truck in front of that.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
06-15-2006, 09:25 AM
As envy said it's not the squat or that it's sitting in a valley!! It's called safe breaking distance. With that much weight your breaking distance possibly went from 20ft @ 30mph to 45ft @ 30mph. If your driving at 30 mph your breaking and manuvering in that little truck slows drastically. What if some little kid comes barreling out of an alley and that extra 15ft would have saved his life. Wont matter than whats paid for because it wont be yours anymore. Good Luck!!

stuffdeer
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Getsome trailer brakes and a brake contolleris what half of these people is trying to say... They will probably help the stop the truck.

Runner
06-15-2006, 09:46 AM
I just love how two Lazers fit on a 12 ft. trailer. It always makes the trailer look like it was built just for that. That is outfitted quite nicely. Maybe eventually, a shelf on the front (that you can drive right under), and you will have a whole bunch more extra room. That size is a nice way to go, though. Looks good!

bntt68
06-15-2006, 02:42 PM
That is not a mini truck. That is a Toyota Tacoma. That truck is capable of carrying as big a load as most full-size trucks.

Brendan Smith
06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
That is not a mini truck. That is a Toyota Tacoma. That truck is capable of carrying as big a load as most full-size trucks.
it's unsafe and i don't recommend it, but with my 2000 tacoma 4wd, i hauled as much as 2 cubic yards of stone. i was careful, but the suspension didn't break. it was a manual trans, so downshifting while braking helped tremendously.

and yes, small amounts of stone did spill.

ProStreetCamaro
06-15-2006, 03:30 PM

:hammerhead: Its a mini truck. I will hook my K2500 to it and drag it any and every where I wanted to and that little truck couldnt do a thing about it.

dhenegar
06-15-2006, 04:10 PM
My Tacoma is a Manual Transmission so I have alot of gearing down power to brake with. Also I don't go down the road at a 100 mph, keep a good follow time and always keep my eyes scanning. Also I have been driving this truck for 9 yrs now and have not had an accident yet. I drive for UPS to and they have taught me alot of tips about driving. It may not be able to compete with the big diesels but it does what I need it to do and that is get me from job to job(and I don't have a $600 a month truck payment to deal with). Also I have not had any problems with this truck. So lets get off the truck issues and back to the main thing(Mowing).

nate121080
06-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah I help him mow and I know that the truck does a great job of pulling. I dont know how far everyone here has to drive to there jobs but we dont have to go far and never on interstate. The furthest house we have is maybe 15 miles and the rest are within a 10 mile radius. Also this a little rinky dink town of about 3000 and country roads. Not know big city driving. He's done it for along time. And the truck has 147,000 miles and never had a problem. Dont know why people think you have to a $40,000 v10 with 500 hp to pull a trailer and 2 damn mowers. I have a 05 tacoma v6, I guess I might as well trade it in?

Idealtim
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Its a money making rig!

Jpocket
06-15-2006, 07:21 PM
The "here's the gear" picture scares me.

It's not the squat, or the idea of pulling the weight...

That's just toooooo much weight to have behind a mini truck.

I wouldn't want to be riding shotgun when you try to stop that!
That's for sure!!!!

Not trying to give you a hard time.
I like the mini trucks OK with one ZTR and small equipment.
But that's my limit.

You need at least a 3/4 ton truck in front of that.

Thats what the trailer brakes are for. I'd rather "see" a 3/4 ton too. But that 'toy"yota will get the job done if thats all you have.

Dashunde
06-15-2006, 08:41 PM

Wrong.

Although I love the Taco's they're not much for hauling, or towing for that matter. They get the job done, but it wouldn't be my pick for do-it-everyday work.
A loaded tandem axle U-Haul will shove a Taco around pretty good.

I speak the truth, I've had three of them (97, 2000, & a TRD supercharged 03).
All of them were bullet-proof without a single trip to the dealer for a repair of any kind.
They are also unbeatable off-road.

Either way, the load I see there shouldn't tax a Taco too badly.
I might add trailer brakes though. Brakes will make it much more highway worthy and they will keep it "straightened out" better.

I often wish I still had my supercharged 03, it was fast and a lot of fun.

grassmanvt
06-15-2006, 09:28 PM
guys, theres not that much weight there. Two z's and a trailer, probably 3500-4000. Not sure what a tacoma's rated for but with trailer brakes I don't see that as a problem. I haul a similar setup ( 2 Z's, a 21, toolbox, on a 20 footer) with a halfton chevy, does fine, and rated for about 10k. Its also pulled a 40 hp tractor with ease. And, I shouldn't even say this because its a no-no but, at the time, I didn't even have the trailer brakes hooked up. Thats not very smart but otherwise, truck did fine. I think too often most people overkill on trucks. I love bigger trucks but can't honestly say there always a necessity.

Envy Lawn Service
06-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I have nothing but love for Toyota's.

The Tacoma IS a MINI truck though.
The Tundra is more of a full size truck.

I have nothing but love for MINI trucks either. I always keep at least one. I have one now (Ranger XLT V-6). Perfect for a light mower hauler... pushers, walks, lawn tractors. But it takes a V-6 minimum to pull "a" ZTR effectively here. Maybe you could get by with a 4 cylinder in the flatlands (?).

Anyways, 2 ZTR's is too much weight to tag behind a mini truck.
What it boils down to is this...
When the crap hits the fan... they just aren't heavy enough and don't have the stopping power.

Yeah, I understand trailer brakes help... but still.

Anyways, in the end, I totally understand. My little Ranger is paid for, same as the rest of my stuff, and I like the fuel economy. While I would like to upgrade it, I "need-to" way less than you do, it's paid for and I like the fuel economy. So personally I will keep it for towing 1 ZTR + extras, towing light loads, and for a run-about... AND I'll do so until my situation no longer allows me to get by, AND still I will probably keep it unless it's ready for the boneyard!!!

Anyways, to end... I would be surprised if you are not technically breaking the law.
Is it "rated" to legally handle that much weight in tow?
I'm taking a shot in the dark and saying it 'looks like' an OL violation to me.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-16-2006, 12:05 AM
is your truck a v6? i thought i was having trouble with the v8 91 ford lol.

Do the exmarks come with a stripe kit to make it look like that? my Ferris 61" deck just doesnt do that, it looks almost like it doesnt have lines... almost.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-16-2006, 12:10 AM
it's unsafe and i don't recommend it, but with my 2000 tacoma 4wd, i hauled as much as 2 cubic yards of stone. i was careful, but the suspension didn't break. it was a manual trans, so downshifting while braking helped tremendously.

and yes, small amounts of stone did spill.

give me a break here lol, 2 cubic feet or 2 cubic yards? what kind of stone. "hollow stone" ? i know some of you guys like to boast and blow smoke about their "trucks" but 2 cubic yards probably woud not even fit in the small trucks bed, a FULL SIZE 8ft long truck bed yeah but 2cu yd probably wouldnt fit in a shortbed full size truck either.

Whats 2 cubic yards of stone weigh? 2500+ lbs? yeah in your toyota small truck:hammerhead:

ive just had 1 cubic yard of top soil evenly distributed in my f150 half ton, its a 91 but has an extra set of leaf springs on it so it doesnt sag so bad at 1000+ lbs, i would not have put another 300lbs on it, was just that heavy.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-16-2006, 12:15 AM
:hammerhead: Its a mini truck. I will hook my K2500 to it and drag it any and every where I wanted to and that little truck couldnt do a thing about it.

lol ok ok we get the point, no ones going to argue here :rolleyes:

MOST guys i guess start out with whatever "cheap" they can.

I started/still have my 91 f150 my father had since it was new, well kept/garage usually etc. Am i stretching my limit, sure, do i pull a 24' enclosed trailer i just got ? yeah, but its STILL a full size truck with large wheels/brakes, controller, long bed and extended cab with a 5.0 v8 makes trailering easier, not easy but not terrible. I would love a diesel truck soon though.

I couldnt imagine being in this business with anything short of at least an f150/gm 1500+ or dodge ram 1500 all with at least base model v8s.

Toyotas, rangers, the little nissan trucks, s10 trucks etc theyre all too small to really pull much with or put much in the back.

I love how i think the Jeep liberty, "girl car in my opinion", has a tow rating of 7k or 8k lol, like please, if i strapped my 24' trailer weighing ONLY 5k, that little jeep would not make it up a slight incline or handle well in most situations.

All_Clear
06-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Looks and sits like the S-10 i saw yesterday with a 14fter and 2 Z's

Use what you have... Thats what makes this an entry level biz... If others don't like it, Find a new job!

All Clear

bntt68
06-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Very well said. Nice pics.

Adam3669
06-16-2006, 01:07 AM
hah, I use a 97' Ford Windstar with a Stander, 21' and all the good equipment in a 5X10:weightlifter:

I'm pretty sure his tacoma is going to hold up just fine:)

br549oicu8
06-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Electric brakes...definitely needed..
One thing I didn't see mentioned....equalizer hitch setup!
With the tension bars set properly this situation can be leveled out quite a bit.
We broke a heavy hitch and split the frame on a 3/4 ton truck before we realized the importance of the equalizer setup.
Dude...get it!! I think the danger here is not as much stopping as it is breaking the hitch and losing the trailer...:weightlifter:

mcwlandscaping
06-16-2006, 01:45 PM
My uncles got pretty much the same truck, same looking trailer, he just has two eXmark metro WBs on his!

J&R Landscaping
06-16-2006, 11:23 PM
lol ok ok we get the point, no ones going to argue here :rolleyes:

MOST guys i guess start out with whatever "cheap" they can.

I started/still have my 91 f150 my father had since it was new, well kept/garage usually etc. Am i stretching my limit, sure, do i pull a 24' enclosed trailer i just got ? yeah, but its STILL a full size truck with large wheels/brakes, controller, long bed and extended cab with a 5.0 v8 makes trailering easier, not easy but not terrible. I would love a diesel truck soon though.

I couldnt imagine being in this business with anything short of at least an f150/gm 1500+ or dodge ram 1500 all with at least base model v8s.

Toyotas, rangers, the little nissan trucks, s10 trucks etc theyre all too small to really pull much with or put much in the back.

I love how i think the Jeep liberty, "girl car in my opinion", has a tow rating of 7k or 8k lol, like please, if i strapped my 24' trailer weighing ONLY 5k, that little jeep would not make it up a slight incline or handle well in most situations.

If you think thats funnny, I've seen one of themnew Honda Ridgeline pick-up/suvs pulling a 7*16 dual axle, 2 full size Z riders, a 48 and 36" wb and all the other small stuff.

Came into the shop the other day why I was there and we got talking. He says he loves the 'luxury' of the truck and thinks he call put a 20' trailer with it. I think if he puts another 20lbs on the trailer, the truck will just fall apart. I know for a fact hews gonna have tranny probs before 12k miles!!!

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-17-2006, 08:55 AM
my Toyota V6's were rated at 5000# towing......I think you are fine....not quick but fine.....

I have had 5 of them.......

D

Lawnworks
06-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I think it is a great set-up. It looks like an efficient set-up for mowing to me. At least he is not throwing away $1000 a month on brand new cowboy cadillac that will get beat to hell and be worth nothing in 5 years.

dhenegar
06-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I think it is a great set-up. It looks like an efficient set-up for mowing to me. At least he is not throwing away $1000 a month on brand new cowboy cadillac that will get beat to hell and be worth nothing in 5 years.

Thanks Lawnworks! My point exactly.