PDA

View Full Version : landscape architecture

design works
06-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Do a majority of you guys install and do your own design work (drawings, etc..)? Or do you sub out your desgn work? Just curious. Trying to start some freelance design work and am not sure if it's something that would be needed.

hoskm01
06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Start with some drawings or get some easy software to see what you can do. Do you know how to design, are you creative? These would be important in determining whether you should do it yourself or sub it out. If you've got the skills, why not employ them into your business?

By the way, I do my own designs. I would much rather install something I conjured up in my head than someone elses thoughts.

AGLA
06-16-2006, 12:30 PM
It is a tough niche to make money in, but it can be done if you are well tuned to the market in your area and have design experience, a good reputation, and a portfolio of built work. If you have to ask, you are probably not well connected in your market.

By the way, you can't call yourself or what you do "landscape architecture" without a professional license in any state other than Colorado and Vermont.