PDA

View Full Version : Next step for backyard?

mjoiner
06-16-2006, 11:47 AM
So I had this bad slope in the backyard. Maybe a third acre or a little more. I dumped in about 100 10 yard loads of clay fill and had it smoothed down. I had before that put all sorts of dirt and concrete rubble and ended up with a pretty sturdy wall about 5 feet high from one end of the yard to the other. This is holding the clay fill in case any one was wondering. Problem is it rained like crazy for two days right after and now its a big bog. I want to get some grass on it right away but I have a ton of trees and shade. I asked about hydroseeding but I am told that the only grass that will maybe work is St. Augustine ( which is already growing around the back of my house) but it can only be sodded. Also only have one sprinkler zone going to the backyard and will not be sufficiant to keep any seed or sod wet. Also told that all trees will die now that I put all that dirt around them. I was thinking of getting some of the temp grass hydroseeded and making a temp sprinkler system with hose pipes and portable timers. But, is anthing going to grow on clay? Is it going firm up or am I going to sink up to my knees or lose my mower ( 1000lb) the first time I cut the new grass? Do I need to rent a roller machine and press it out?? I really did not want to buy enough sod to cover that big area and I really don't want to have to lay it out. What kind of grass/ other can I get to grow there from seed that is half way decent and can be mowed and played on and come back out each year :confused: