PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a wooden porch deck with concrete

Hunter_Wolf
06-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Hello,

I have a wooden porch deck 6 feet by 21 feet. Right now it has roofing paper over pretty solid wood. I have about 2 inches from existing deck to bottom edge of my front door threshold.

Is 2 inches thick enough for a concrete deck? I plan to use re-enforcing screening. I might gain a little more if I remove roofing paper.

It is sitting on a cinder block foundation.

Also, is this a job I can tackle myself or should I call in a contractor? I do not mind hard work, as long as I am aware of any potential problems before I hit them :)

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Hunter

LarryF
06-17-2006, 09:56 AM
It's not clear what you are contemplating. Are you considering concrete on top of an existing wood deck??????? If so, it's not a good idea.

Hunter_Wolf
06-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes. I was told as long as there were no weak spots, rot or "Springyness" that I would be able to lay concrete on top of wood.

I am guessing by your statement, I was heading for a bad start?

Thanks for saving me before I start.

How would you suggest I start?

Hunter

Need a Little Trim
06-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah that would not be a good idea. Even if you have cinder block base it would need to be similar to a tic tac toe board look and a concrete footing before you could pour in the air. I would look into a contractor but, make sure you get references for the type of work that you want. This is a little different than concret slab.

Hunter_Wolf
06-17-2006, 07:27 PM
I believe I understand what you mean. My basement extends under this porch. Looking up, there are 2 x 8 boards 16 inches apart. There appears to be tongue & groove slats on top with roofing felt as a final layer.

Should I be getting nervous about tackling this project myself about now?

Thanks again

LarryF
06-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Should I be getting nervous about tackling this project myself about now?

I think you should be. Even if you ignore the likelihood that the concrete will crack severely (which I'm sure it will) so that water will penetrate the cracks and rot the wood below, I get the impression you are not very familiar with working with concrete. 6' x 26' is a pretty big area to screed and trowel, even for someone with experience in doing it.

Since you already have substantial joists under the deck, perhaps you might want to think of something like what is shown at this web site.

http://www.lockdry.com/gallery.htm

I'm sure there are other product available similar to this, but your deck should be pitched about 1" over the 6-foot dimension. But that would be the case no matter what surface you choose.

Hunter_Wolf
06-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Thank you very much for that link. That decking looks like an interesting project to tackle. Certainly it appears quicker & far less expensive compared to concrete.

I sent off for a sample from them, so I am certainly going in that direction.

Just checking out that other link (Off their site) for railing & posts for finish.

Thank you again. I have confidence again in pulling this project off :)

LarryF
06-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Your welcome! But I haven't any idea of what the cost would be compared to concrete. However, I have placed a fair amount of concrete in my day, and I know it's pretty easy to screw up in the process. I have on occasion, and when that happened, it was more work and expense taking it out than putting it in. But even if you had a pro do the job (if you could find a mason who would accept it), I believe you would eventually regret it. That's just one man's opinion though.

Good luck!

Hunter_Wolf
06-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks again for preventing what could have been an expensive mess. I will let you know what my estimate is when I hear back from them, hopefully tomorrow.

I guess I was overconfident doing small sidewalk blocks & things :)