PDA

View Full Version : New Hustler!

Audrey
06-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Just got it this week! Boy is it great. Super fast and cuts like nothing I've ever seen.

:cool2:

A

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/Hustler.jpg

jacob land and
06-16-2006, 11:06 PM
turf tiger and why does it say audrey on the front

zim bob the landscaper
06-16-2006, 11:33 PM
turf tiger and why does it say audrey on the front
right thats not a hustler thats a scag you can tell because the stripes on the fender. also differnt body.

iluvscag
06-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Guys its a joke.

Audrey
06-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Guys its a joke.

Yeah.... :) Just playing!

Here's the real deal... :usflag:

A

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/Tiger361.jpg

Audrey
06-17-2006, 12:34 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/Tiger261.jpg

Audrey
06-17-2006, 12:37 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/Tiger35hp.jpg

jameson
06-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Audrey

Good lookin' Hustl..eh, I mean Scag. Post more pics!

Splicer
06-17-2006, 01:11 AM
My buddy just went and paid 12grand (almost) for one of these...'cept his has the water cooled Kawisaki 30hp...can anyone say SA-WEET!!! And he bought it for residential use only!!!

Nice ride!!!

6'7 330
06-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Post more pics!

Yes, and a few with Audrey sitting on the mower;)

Audrey
06-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Yes, and a few with Audrey sitting on the mower;)

:nono: :laugh:

I take it you didn't get my "Bro" comment in my previous post?

:laugh: 6' ... 220lbs

A

Audrey
06-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/AudreyTiger.jpg

Audrey
06-17-2006, 01:47 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/AudreyTiger2.jpg

6'7 330
06-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Audrey,

Is the mower deck shaft driven like the 98's were ?

Audrey
06-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Besides the seat upgrade, when selecting the 35hp engine, you also get the bigger pumps. They come with fans for cooling. The 27hp does not have the bigger pumps or the fans. I do not know the options about upgrades with the other engines larger than 27hp.

I also like how they changed the way you can freewheel.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/fanscag.jpg

Audrey
06-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Thought this was interesting. This is what it looked like under the deck after 1.1 hours. No thick/tall/or wet grass was cut. I can take my hand and rub the stuff off. It pained me to make it dirty. :cry:

Homer Simpson voice on: MMMMM......Shiiiiny..... :laugh:

I am guessing the clean spots are where the grass hit the deck and was transfered to the discharge side. The arrow on the discharge side is at the outside edge of the deck. It seems to be hitting there, then the chute. I just thought it was neat how I can see the flow of the cut grass.

A

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/undertiger.jpg

Audrey
06-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Audrey,

Is the mower deck shaft driven like the 98's were ?

Yes. Turf Tigers are shaft driven. My 2001 was as well. Never had a problem with the shaft. I think you had an unlucky draw of the cards that year. Sorry to hear that...

I did have a problem with tall grass getting at the seal on the "differential" (gearbox? )where the shaft goes into it. In 2002 they fixed it from factory.

When I cut tall thin grass one time (18"+) , it seems that some of it wrapped itself around the shaft where it goes into the box. Well, there just so happens to be a rubber seal there to keep the oil inside. Evidently, the two don't mix well. I had to rebuild the box to replace the seal, and they now have a metal cup that goes over it to prevent this from happening.

Had I stuck to regular mowing, it never would have happened. So, I guess it was my fault. Other than that, nothing...

A

J&R Landscaping
06-17-2006, 08:44 PM
That a 35hp big block vanguard on that? Looks nice! Hows it stripe and how fast does it go? I'm not that familiar with Scag.

TLS
06-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I see SCAG finally cleaned up the underside of their decks.

The older ones had all kinds of funky shaped reinforcing plates around the spindles.

They still need to work on the strength of their caster yokes. I saw a newer TT the other day with a tweaked caster yoke.

Let us know how fast that Big Block gulps through that smallish single tanks worth of fuel too!

SCAG is definately coming around though. Obviously not MY first choice, but it would be right up there, where a few years ago, they were about last on my list.

Audrey
06-17-2006, 11:42 PM
I see SCAG finally cleaned up the underside of their decks.

The older ones had all kinds of funky shaped reinforcing plates around the spindles.

They still need to work on the strength of their caster yokes. I saw a newer TT the other day with a tweaked caster yoke.

Let us know how fast that Big Block gulps through that smallish single tanks worth of fuel too!

SCAG is definately coming around though. Obviously not MY first choice, but it would be right up there, where a few years ago, they were about last on my list.

Oh yeah! No argument there! My 2001 is a pain to scrape. Builds your arm muscles pretty good though.

When I went in to demo an eXmark, there was a yoke sitting on the counter ready for an LCO's pickup. It was painted shiny red. In all fairness, I believe it takes quite a bit to bend a yoke. The driver either wasn't paying attention, or they flat out screwed up. Scag, eXmark, whatever... Stupid mistakes know no brand.

10 gallons is smallish?

I would also tend to think that 80lbs full, below the seat, would do more to help hug the hills than 80lbs over top of the wheels.

A

Audrey
06-17-2006, 11:46 PM
That a 35hp big block vanguard on that? Looks nice! Hows it stripe and how fast does it go? I'm not that familiar with Scag.

I'm not that fussy with striping, but I like it just fine. It does an excellent job for what I need it to do. I'm sure there's plenty of guys capable of picking apart anything though.

12 mph on my machine.
More than enough for me. The kids could outrun the 23/52 Tiger..... Not this one!
:laugh:

A

ProStreetCamaro
06-18-2006, 12:13 AM
10 gallons is all that holds? I am surprised they didnt go with bigger tanks on that 35hp machine. Our Cub Tank M48 has a 23 kawi and holds 14 gallons. I like the looks of that tiger. I am sure it will be a great mowchine for ya! Did they improve the decks any? I see alot of scag WB's around here and i have never liked the cut they produce. The machines look older thought so im not sure if the newer decks have changed any?

tacoma200
06-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Yeah.... :) Just playing!

Here's the real deal... :usflag:

A

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/AudreyCanon/Hustler/Tiger361.jpg

You are not a bad photograher. Better than the Scag Brochures.

Audrey
06-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks tacoma! :drinkup:

It's a hobby I enjoy.

A

Willofalltrades
06-23-2006, 03:13 PM
looks like a solid investment to me.

tarp5350
07-06-2006, 08:21 PM
hey audrey, how do you like your new scag turf tiger? iwas about to buy one, but we are in a big time drought here and the grass is all brown and dormant. maybe things will be better next year and i can get one.

04TurfT
07-06-2006, 10:34 PM
gahhh lee that is one hell of a mower... Do you cut alot of really thick and tall grass or did you just feel like getting the 35 horse motor? That's a very solid looking machine, let us know how it works out for ya... congrats :drinkup:

Audrey
07-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey there Tarp,

I am very happy with the machine so far. It is a huge improvement over the 2001 I have. I still catch myself enjoying watching the clippings fly, and not paying attention to keeping the mower straight. :nono: :laugh:

I haven't been able to bog the motor yet. Still trying...

Speed wise, it keeps up nicely. I believe I can cut at a faster rate because of the better deck design. I still don't cut at full speed because of the terrain in most spots. There's a few places where I can let it all hang out, and it does just fine.

The suspension seat is a big improvement. Also, absorbed somewhere, I don't know where, but there seems to be less vibration transferred to me as well. There were many times I wanted OFF the 2001 machine. It's not that way now. I realize it's still a new toy, but I'm looking for more to cut. I am not minding the vibration near as much. It's still there, and can be improved, but it's far better.

Actually, the only problems I am having are due to operator error. Going from a 52 to a 61 is a bigger difference than I thought it would be. I find myself scalping the tops of hills where I didn't before. Whoops... the deck is also DEEPER as well as wider.... dumba**! :hammerhead:
I am also spanning a few areas where I didn't before. I now have to come back around with another pass to clean it up. That takes more time, but I'm still ahead of the game time wise. I've also clipped a few tree roots where I didn't before.
This machine is quite different in many ways. OH! And the tires! Geez they're huge! I went out one wet day and now I have these perfect dirt rings around a few trees. Several times I took off rather quickly from stopped (too quickly) when dry, and in a few places I have two 12x16 dead areas. It's my own house, and I was playing, so I can't exactly fire the lawn monkey for it. It just shredded the turf... :laugh:

All in all, I am very happy with my investment. No buyer's remorse whatsoever. In fact, I see me now wanting to dump the 2001.

It's a viscious cycle! :laugh:

A

Audrey
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
gahhh lee that is one hell of a mower... Do you cut alot of really thick and tall grass or did you just feel like getting the 35 horse motor? That's a very solid looking machine, let us know how it works out for ya... congrats :drinkup:

Thanks!

Actually, I think it's more because I was pizzed off at the wimpy 23 hp on my other Tiger. I do cut thick/tall grass when the job demands it, but there are also times when it just happens to work out to be that way on weekly cuts.

I don't own anything else that's diesel powered. I'm not messing around with two types of fuel. I figured what the heck, it's only a small increase to get the 35, so why not? I haven't bogged it yet, even with all this rain. I'm very pleased with the machine all the way around.

:drinkup:

A

04TurfT
07-07-2006, 01:56 AM
that's awesome! I still can't even imagine having that much power... I bet that is alittle different and bigger than your old mower... it will probly take you alittle while to get the hang of it, I hope everything goes well with it and good luck to you. BADASS MOWER:clapping:

Brendan Smith
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
very nice!! hope it treats you well!:usflag:

jtkplc
07-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks!

Actually, I think it's more because I was pizzed off at the wimpy 23 hp on my other Tiger. I do cut thick/tall grass when the job demands it, but there are also times when it just happens to work out to be that way on weekly cuts.

I don't own anything else that's diesel powered. I'm not messing around with two types of fuel. I figured what the heck, it's only a small increase to get the 35, so why not? I haven't bogged it yet, even with all this rain. I'm very pleased with the machine all the way around.

:drinkup:

A

I've got probably 125 hours or so on an Exmark XS 60" w/ 31 HP Vanguard and it's amazing, very difficult to bog that, I can't imagine 35 HP. :weightlifter: Enjoy your fuel bill...:dizzy:

TLS
07-07-2006, 11:39 PM
What are you getting mileage wise on these Big Blocks?

Audrey
07-08-2006, 02:38 AM
So far, about 8 hours or so to a 10 gallon tank.

It never sits idling, no mulching yet, standard blades, and side discharge.

By comparison, my 23hp/52" gets about 9-10 hours per tank in normal, good conditions.

So, if I were to figure the difference between the two....
IF I were to cut 6 hrs/day for 4 days (which I do not) every week, rounded off, that's 100 hrs per month...give or take.

The 35 hp will use 125 gallons.
the 23 hp will use 100 gallons.

25 gallons X $3.00 = $75

Figuring this way, it costs me $75 per month to have unlimited power out the wazoo.

1) Now, I don't cut anywhere near 100 hours per month.
2) I figured on a four week month.
3) It takes me longer to accomplish the same task with the 23/52deck as opposed to the 35/61.
4) Gasoline is not $3.00 per gallon here ($2.70)
5) Figuring in other mitigating factors such as lack of proficiency with the new machine, engine break-in, rainfall totals, mulch or discharge, etc....

What's the total difference cost me?
I have no idea. :laugh:

And to be completely truthful, I don't care. If it works out to be $25 or $50, it doesn't mean anything to me. I will gladly pay it for never, ever, having to sit on a machine and slog it out cutting a damn forrest.

How much time will I save with the bigger deck, a much more efficient deck in all conditions, faster cutting groundspeed, and the elimination of most double cutting under some rather unfavorable conditions? If I had to sit down and figure all of it in, I still have the loss of fuel, but time wise, I would wager a week's pay that it all comes out in the wash and I get very close to breaking even.

And the new machine is much more enjoyable. You can't discount creature comforts.

My only wish is that they would have made the 35 hp fuel injected. I would have gladly paid extra for that.

A

TLS
07-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Thats not too bad.

When working my EFI hard (always do!), I'm getting about the same (1.25gal/hr).

Where in PA are you that gas is only $2.70???

$3.05-$3.10 here!