PDA

View Full Version : MTD/YArd Machine 608 blows fuse..

gtjr92
06-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I have a yard machine by MTD model 608 made in 2002.
My wife tried to surprise me by cutting the grass. She almost had it done and the mower just quit on her, she tried to restart to no avail. I noticed

the the fuse connected to the key ignition switch was blown. I replaced that and it started up fine, I cut the grass for 15 minutes and the mower quit

on me again. Pulled out the fuse and sure enough it was blown again. I replaced it and now when I tried to start it it just blows the fuse, it won't

even attempt to turn over. The fuse blows AS SOON AS YOU TURN THE KEY.
I also checked the other fuse by the battery it is fine.

I am not sure where to go from here, one friend of mine thought that it could be the electric clutch. I am fairly technically inclined, and my friend

has fixed his mowers several times for many years. We are not sure the best way to evaluate what is causing this problem.
I was also trying to find a wiring diagram so i could make sure all the wiring was in order, but i could only find them on MTD sites for purchase.
I don't want to order that if i don't need too.
Any ideas on the best way to evaluate the issue?

Thanks!!

MowerMedic77
06-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Sorry I don't have a wiring diag. but it sounds like you have a short check for any wires that look like they may be touching metal including battery wires look for burn marks etc. I just had a 72" Scag turf tiger that was doing the same thing found the seat switch had been jumped with a piece of wire and it was arcing under the seat. You can eliminate your clutch by undoing the connection and see if it still pops the fuse. Hope this helps:)

Jim@MilkyWay
06-18-2006, 02:38 AM
I have fair knowledge of electrical trouble shooting and will, therefore suggest a few things. First, make sure you are using the correct fuse when replacing it. If the circuit calls for a 15A and you are using a 1.5A just as an example, then the fuse will not carry the load. Also, if you have a DMM(Digital Multi Meter), then do this if you want to try it:
1) disconnect negative battery cable from battery.
2) Set your meter to read resistance; set for 100ohms or so(probably not critical). As you apparently have something shorted nearly to ground, you will need a low resistance range on meter.
3) clip your negative DMM lead to a good ground point.
4) Remove the fuse that keeps blowing. Then, starting at the fuse holder, check to see which side of the holder shows little or no resistance to ground; probably on the order of a few ohms to a few tens of ohms. The side with the low reading contains the faulty circuit. Trace back from there, checking each branch in the circuit by temporarily disconnecting one end of the wire at each component as you get to it while monitoring resistance. When the resistance goes up significantly, then follow the branch you just isolated and continue till you find where the "short" is. Wish I were there, as it is easier to show you how to do it, than it is to explain.