PDA

View Full Version : Echo HC-200 Blades Frozen

jud149
06-17-2006, 01:24 PM
This hedge clipper is only a bit over 2 years old (naturally-out of warranty), and the blades won't move. I've checked the blades carefully and can see no debris which might jam the unit. When you rev the engine, it just bogs down as the blades won't go. The last time I used it, a week or so ago, it was fine as the blades moved freely prior to shut down at which time I usually spray the blades with WD-40.
Anyway, I find it hard to believe a bearing could seize so early in its life, especially since it has seen limited duty, being used only on my own yard. So, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas before I tear it down.

MowerMedic77
06-17-2006, 01:36 PM
With the HT off (PLZ):) check the blade bolt washers on the bottom of the blade a bar assembly they should all have a little side to side movement if you cant move one with your fingers then it is too tight and will need to be adjusted. You can do this by loosening the nut on the top of the bar then turning the bolt so that the washer moves then hold to bolt in place and re-tighten the nut on top. Hope this helps:)

jud149
06-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look.

AAELI
06-17-2006, 06:50 PM
If that was not the problem then take off the gearcase cover plate and check for rusted (yes, water goes most everywhere) conrod bearings.

Left Lantana for Guam in 1962. Miss the cool temps.

carcrz
06-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Check the bolts that hold the blades on. I tightened them too much last year & for the life of me couldn't figure out what sounds like the exact problem you are having.

lawnboy dan
06-17-2006, 09:10 PM
this is pretty common on echo trimmers- rusted up bearings . another reason to buy shindawia

J&R Landscaping
06-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Ran into this the other day at work...

An lco brought in a hc150 that had the bottom gear case cover loose. He ran it like that anyway and it caused the main gear in the gear case to shear. His machine is now waiting for a new gear, bottom blade and other assorted gaskets and such. A costly mistake by running it even though he knew there was a problem!

AAELI
06-18-2006, 09:39 AM
this is pretty common on echo trimmers- rusted up bearings . another reason to buy shindawia

Well Dan man, hate to bust your bubble but this is also a common occurence on the Shindaiwa models. For that matter it is the same on Robin and Maruyama units. I have had more Shindaiwa's come in with this problem than other brands on the market out here.

If the blade bolts are set properly this is the next most common problem, rusted conrods/bearings.

Shindaiwa Sudden Service Elite Dealer for over 11 years - '88-'99. First Shogun dealer and first Emperor single store dealer. No BS, I do have the creds to back it up.

lawnboy dan
06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
at least shindawia gives you a grease fitting on the gear case so if you are inclinded to do you can keep the gearcase full of grease to keep h20 out and keep corrosion to a min.

ed2hess
06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Well Dan man, hate to bust your bubble but this is also a common occurence on the Shindaiwa models. For that matter it is the same on Robin and Maruyama units. I have had more Shindaiwa's come in with this problem than other brands on the market out here.

If the blade bolts are set properly this is the next most common problem, rusted conrods/bearings.

Shindaiwa Sudden Service Elite Dealer for over 11 years - '88-'99. First Shogun dealer and first Emperor single store dealer. No BS, I do have the creds to back it up.
AAELI,
Where is this bearing you are refering to? I thought there is a gear attached to the ring actuated by the clutch. The two main gears inside the gear case don't seem it have much of any kind of bearing other than maybe a bronze bushing. I never had anything inside these gear cases wear out/lock up. Almost all my lockups are due to the five blade bolts getting tight.

cariboulou
06-18-2006, 05:47 PM
i agreee with mowermedic...this happened to me, I got the same advice and loosened the blade bolts so the washers move by hand. Hadnt had a problem since. check the bolts!

AAELI
06-19-2006, 06:24 AM
AAELI,
Where is this bearing you are refering to? I thought there is a gear attached to the ring actuated by the clutch. The two main gears inside the gear case don't seem it have much of any kind of bearing other than maybe a bronze bushing. I never had anything inside these gear cases wear out/lock up. Almost all my lockups are due to the five blade bolts getting tight.

You are right Ed. The Echo is unlike the Shindaiwa,Robin, Maruyama and Kaaz models. Whereas they all have the conrod w/bearings for the blades encircling the eliptical/offset conrod mounts the Echo blades are actuated by the set up you mention. The only common thread amoung these units seems to be the blade bolts. As mentioned before the bolts when overtightened will prevent the blades from moving.

I went back and checked an Echo in the shop to verify what you said. That's what happens when you think you know it all. You find out you don't. Thanks for your non-critical correction. I appreciate your thoughtfullness.

jud149
06-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Well, the problem turned out to be the 2 ball bearings that the gear shaft rides on. Both were frozen. This is unbelievable to me as this slightly over 2 year old unit has seen only very light homeowner use. I don't know what Echo is doing with their products these days. When I ordered the new bearings, I showed the old ones to a tech repair guy at the facility who said he'd never seen bearings frozen up like they were with such little use.

tallimeca
06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
i've never seen bearing failure on these units unless it was an older unit.. Usually blades not adjusted correctly.

Were you lubricating the case and using Echo's lube or equivalent???

How far out of warranty is it. Any decent dealer should be able to get it put through if it's only like a month out of warranty.