PDA

View Full Version : Largest project I have done by far....

Drafto
06-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I finally got some time to post some pics of a 2500 square foot driveway we did last month. I had soem before pictures in a thread that a lot you guys and gals gave me some suggestions during the design phase. I know Mbella and Dreams to Designs have been really wanting to see these.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dan

Birdhunter1
06-17-2006, 06:09 PM
That looks AWESOME!

Good work you did there!

Fordsuvparts
06-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Very Nice Work.

dcondon
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Very nice job!!!!!! Keep up the good work:clapping:

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 11:09 PM
WOW, that looks really good!! nice job

stuffdeer
06-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Ummm, Wanna do mine?

Squizzy246B
06-18-2006, 03:13 AM
Hey Dan, Looks good..have you got a pic from out the front so we can see the rest of the drive?...and where's the thread where we put up the ideas for the design?.

Great work.

Squizzy246B
06-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Founded it:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=128696 :)

kris
06-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Good size job....

Did you do steps and walls too?

Dreams To Designs
06-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Dan, that came out beautiful! I'm sure that homeowner is very proud of his new driveway and your craftsmanship. You already know my thoughts, I would have made the beds bigger, but the work is outstanding.

Kirk

Mindless
06-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Looks great! What brand block and paver is that?

Terry

Drafto
06-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Hey Dan, Looks good..have you got a pic from out the front so we can see the rest of the drive?...and where's the thread where we put up the ideas for the design?.

Great work.

They were finishing the sod the day I took the photos and on the left side there were hoses and pallets everywhere. I will get one just like the other thread so we can see the whole before and after effect. THanks for your comments Squizzy.

Dan

Drafto
06-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Dan, that came out beautiful! I'm sure that homeowner is very proud of his new driveway and your craftsmanship. You already know my thoughts, I would have made the beds bigger, but the work is outstanding.

Kirk

Key Kirk. We will be doing a back patio soon at this house, and the landscaping has become a priorty for the homeowner. Know what that means? He is expecting you to come over here and design his front yard. At that time, unknown to him, you will design plantings that fit my beds. There is no need to let him know his decision to make my beds smaller was the wrong one :) .

Dan

P.S. I will talk to him this week and set something up.

Drafto
06-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Good size job....

Did you do steps and walls too?

Yes, all of the hardscaping you see. The steps were a great learning experience.

Dan

Drafto
06-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Looks great! What brand block and paver is that?

Terry

The pavers are Techo-Bloc "Classique", the walls are TB Creta, the steps are TB Calistro, and the step treads are TB Neptune. Everything is a "Shale Grey" and the field pavers are Charcoal.

Dan

P.S. Happy Fathers Day everyone.

jazak
06-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Looks awesome!! What equipment did you use? Do you have any pics of it in progress?

zedosix
06-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Too bad the step capstones don't have a rough edge. Otherwise, good job.

Drafto
06-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Too bad the step capstones don't have a rough edge. Otherwise, good job.

The caps are Techo-Bloc Neptune. They are a very rich looking alternative to bullnose. The customer didn't want the standard cap (rough face) to be used on the steps. In most settings I love Neptune, but I have to admit, I will never use it again on curved steps. It was a lot of work with the curve and the radius on the face of the caps to get it to look okay. Thanks for the comments.

Dan

Drafto
06-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Looks awesome!! What equipment did you use? Do you have any pics of it in progress?

I will post some progress pics soon. I subbed out the excavation, the guy used a mini-ex, and made about 30 tri-axel trips. As for my equipment, we used a Cat 242B skidsteer, and a Multiquip MVH200 (about 7000#'s) compactor. I am currently bidding another drive in the development and I think I will try renting a 13,000# compactor to do larger lifts. I also have upgraded to a Cat 252B so I can lift full pallets. The learning curve in this business is great:) , I just wish someONE had all the answers. Other than that we used our standard tools.

Dan

Craftybigdog
06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Top Notch- A+

Craftybigdog
06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
You need an A300!!!!!!!!!!

jwholden
06-18-2006, 10:26 PM
That job looks great! I can't wait to get my hands on one that size!

How did you go about grading the base on a job that size?

What was your system for cutting the rectangular stones in the outer circle?

primetyme1978
06-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Great work on the driveway. I want to get into that next year I think.

PROCUT1
06-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Nice job, i wish i could do work like that, I cant even get cheap scalloped edging in a straight line.

Drafto
06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Squizzy - Here is a photo that encompasses all of the drive. The street trees really make the photo great ;) .

Dan

Squizzy246B
06-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks Dan, Yep, it come up good, especially the planting in front of the garages...they will get better and better. I think the owner could do something more with the centre piece. Great job.

On another track...what is it with Yanks and bland pavers??...no criticism to you Dan but when I'm at the supply yards here we have all types of great vibrant colours...oranges and yellows, earthy reds, lots of blues...still natural colours but more warm. Everything I see on here (in regards colour) is well..Dull? Is it what people ask for?? or is it just whats available?. Perhaps its just one of those phases...like the chocolate brown house bricks we had here in the 70's. Just wondering.

Drafto
06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks Dan, Yep, it come up good, especially the planting in front of the garages...they will get better and better. I think the owner could do something more with the centre piece. Great job.

On another track...what is it with Yanks and bland pavers??...no criticism to you Dan but when I'm at the supply yards here we have all types of great vibrant colours...oranges and yellows, earthy reds, lots of blues...still natural colours but more warm. Everything I see on here (in regards colour) is well..Dull? Is it what people ask for?? or is it just whats available?. Perhaps its just one of those phases...like the chocolate brown house bricks we had here in the 70's. Just wondering.

I couldn't agree with you more Squizzy! I was hoping he would have gone with a Tan\Grey mix which would still be bland but would have been better than charcoal. A lot of homes are getting red and grey pavers in the neighborhood and most of them look pretty hideous.

Dan

mrusk
06-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Drafto- You will love the 252b! I have a 2 month old 246b with 70hrs and i absolutely love it. It does everything i need and more. I move around full pallets of blocks and pavers no proablem!!!!

Matt

Squizzy246B
06-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Squizzy! I was hoping he would have gone with a Tan\Grey mix which would still be bland but would have been better than charcoal. A lot of homes are getting red and grey pavers in the neighborhood and most of them look pretty hideous.

Dan

Dan, It does depend a lot on the colour and style of the house. I just see a lot of terriffic work on here but the colour is lifeless. They are nice pavers and stones just welll....Dull;) . Maybe its just me. One of our pet hates is when we do a feature limestone wall the owner picks a paver that closely matches the limestone and it ends up being stark and too bright...need your sunnies on just to go out on the patio. Warm colours is what I look for.

Cheers

Dreams To Designs
06-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Squizzy, I think most often pavers are meant to accent the home or compliment it, rather than detract from it, especially in the front. Most paver manufacturers here make grays, browns and blends with grey and brown or the occasional brick red, which often turns pink. Unlike the stark white of concrete or the bleak black of asphalt, pavers in earth tones are subtle additions to these properties. Here it is rare for a mcmansion development to have houses with colors other than white or any shade of tan. Even gray houses are becoming uncommon in preference to the beige or tans. Sometimes there are stone accents or brick, but often these homes are built with stucco finishes on the front and vinyl siding on the other 3 sides. That's where good design and intense landscaping can come into play to really add some color and interest.

Kirk

Squizzy246B
06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
That's where good design and intense landscaping can come into play to really add some color and interest.

Kirk

Dead right Kirk...something has to add some contrast and interest...maybe not the colour but something....Rather ironic me talking about colours as I have about as much ability with colours as I have tact with clients who pay late. But blandness should be avoided. This is an interesting topic....wish I had some better software.

Techo-Bloc
07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Great Job with the Classique. I also like the use of the Neptune Caps. I would like to consider this job for the 2007 Techo-Bloc Catolog. Interested???

-Jason

Drafto
07-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Great Job with the Classique. I also like the use of the Neptune Caps. I would like to consider this job for the 2007 Techo-Bloc Catolog. Interested???

-Jason

Absolutely Jason! Here is another, if you did not see it, interesting Techo project. Page 2 is where there is more pics, the details are in the thread, but it is Hera installed upside down. This is the year of odd Techo projects, we also did a job where the customers wanted no steps, the slope really puts into perspective just what pavers can really do:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=150278

Kirk has my contact info for you to catch up with me, I don't think your PM works yet, but I would love to show you in person some of the projects we have done this year. Now if Techo would just come through with some leads they would be an even better company:) .

Dan

sheshovel
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
WoW that turned out exellent! I am proud if you if that counts for anything.
You did a really fantasic job there.
Good one to have under your wing.
Love it Drafto..good work.