PDA

View Full Version : Watering Times for Bermuda Grass in West Texas

fostemi1
06-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I recently moved to Midland TX from Fort Worth. In Fort Worth we had St. Augustine, which required more water. I'm not familiar with Bermuda lawns, which we have in Midland. How long do I need to water each section? I am currently watering in the early morning (5:00 - 6:30 am) for about 15 minutes in each zone. I water 4x per week. Am I overwatering?

VWBOBD
06-19-2006, 02:24 AM
I recently moved to Midland TX from Fort Worth. In Fort Worth we had St. Augustine, which required more water. I'm not familiar with Bermuda lawns, which we have in Midland. How long do I need to water each section? I am currently watering in the early morning (5:00 - 6:30 am) for about 15 minutes in each zone. I water 4x per week. Am I overwatering?

it depends, have you measure the ammount of water that each zone is actually getting to the ground? test by placing weighted dixie cups or tuna cans , randomly place them throughout the lawn and check to see how much water is in them after running system for your normal cycle. Bermuda should get at least and inch a weekto thrive. I like to get a good deep soaking instead of numerous shallow waterings.

ed2hess
06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
It has been running 95F here in Austin and we run irrigation 15min three times a week on all commericial. Rotors are run for 30minutes. Bermuda is hard to green up now unless you put on some nitrogen, one good thing it won't die regardless.

fostemi1
06-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I was running at around 20 minutes per zone, but I noticed quite a bit of run-off, so I lowered it to 15 minutes. I'll try the nitrogen as well.

Appreciate it.