PDA

View Full Version : Went to see the Dodge, what do you think it's worth?

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 06:25 PM
As you'll see, its not a 2500 like my mom said it was, its a 1500 but that is still OK. It has the 5.9 litre V8 Gasser in it and as you may or may not tell from the pics everything is in amazing condition. The motor runs great, has tons of power, and drives really nice. It has a brand new Rhino liner that was put in, tow package, and probably some other stuff im forgetting. Oh, there are fog lights in the front with a switch inside the cab. Anything else im forgetting or you'd like to know please ask so i can get a good idea on what i should be paying for this. It is a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4*4. I will wait awhile to put in my opinions and the asking price for it. I should also add in that it has never had any problems, it has been babied by the owner and the original owner, everything very clean, NO RUST!

Check out the pics.........

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Pic 2...................

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Dodge pic 3.......

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Dodge pic 4........

tcls83
06-17-2006, 06:51 PM
$6,000 - $7,000?

If you get a good price on it, I don't see where you could go wrong. They're nice trucks.

PJDiesel
06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Miles?.....

carcrz
06-17-2006, 06:53 PM
What's the mileage? Leather? Options???

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 07:03 PM
83k miles, cloth seats, aftermarket pioneer CD player,

procut
06-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I'd say about $5500

THEGOLDPRO
06-17-2006, 07:33 PM
its in real good condition, what year was it again a 98?? its basically the same truck as mine, i paid 7800 for mine a year ago, with a new plow, and like 75k mine is a 99 btw, also mine is an SLT tho sop its loaded power everything.

it also looks like it has upgraded suspension, looks higher then my 1500. that might be a part of the tow package tho, dunno.

just make sure you test drive the **** outa it, and watch the tranny take it on the highway, and turn the o/d on and off see if it engages correctly.

other then that i say if the price is right jump on it, they are good trucks.

J&R Landscaping
06-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I'd offer 6k for it. Them 5.9s have a lot of power but they love to SLURP the fuel!!!!!

If your doing or going to be doing a lot of mulch jobs and such, I'd hold out for a 3/4 ton and drop an easy dumper in it.
All in all, its a nice truck but is it going to be effective for your total operation?

lawnmaniac883
06-17-2006, 07:48 PM
If da price is fly, you must buy.

Looks like a nice clean truck to me. Auto or stick? Cant tell from the pic but I see the transfer case is manual engagement. Be sure to shift the transfer case a few times. Shift into 4 high/drive 4 low/drive, etc.

I would pay 6500 tops.

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 07:52 PM
J&R Landscaping- I think it will work for my operation because it has a lot of power, and it will be a good residential plowing rig considering it's short and powerful. I would add timbrens and probably find something else to stiffen up the suspension a bit more too. For mulch, i work with another LS member who gives me a good price for it and can deliver large quantities at once so i just use him for jobs more than 2 yrds.

mcwlandscaping
06-17-2006, 10:08 PM
anyone else want to give some input?? ide appreciate it

Fordsuvparts
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Watch for that auto tranny i have had a lot of problems out of the 95- 98 5.9 auto tranny's that i have owned. One of the company trucks i had a couple of years ago was a 98 with the 5.9 and by 75,000 miles it had gone through 3 transmissions all under warranty. and a s soon as the warranty was up the third tranny went out. the truck was sold shortly after that for parts with about 85,000 mile on it. I did not abuse it and never pulled anything with it. It was a 1998 ext cab 4x4 5.9 auto. I loved the power of the 5.9 and besides the transmission prbolems it was a fun truck to put 60,000 mile on in one year.

stuffdeer
06-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I like the truck. But personally, I wouldn't buy a regular cab. I think the Super or extened cabs look good, and give more room.

Lynden-Jeff
06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I just bought a 5.9 L RAM 1500 extendacab. Paid $8500 CAD and its in good condition with 145 000 KM on it. Good deal and a very nice truck.

Cheers
Jeff

Jpocket
06-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I'd pass on that one...Atleast get a long bed or a 2500.

Emerscape
06-18-2006, 12:17 AM
I agree. I've seen you on plowsite so I know u want to plow. If you want to get the most out of plowing ie. 8ft plow and a sander your gonna need a Heavy Duty truck either a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton. I personally wish I had bought a 1 ton instead of my 3.4 ton and if you can afford it an extended cab even though i've heard a lot of people those trucks can't handle the weight but I beg to differ.

THEGOLDPRO
06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
i have a reg cab short bed 1500, and love it, the truck is big enough without the longbed, and extended cab, but i do a great deal of plowing with mine, and i personally like the smaller size for that reason, much easier to manuever in and out of driveways, and **** like that. whats he asking for price??

FearThisDeere
06-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Regualar cabs are the best if you plan on doing any plowing. It makes a huge difference with rear vision.

mcwlandscaping
06-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Alright, now that ive gotten the lowdown about what people think it is worth and their opinions about the reg. cab. short bed 1/2 ton. The reason i want this is to have a nice, tight turning residential plowing rig considering i wouldn't dare take on any commercial plowing accounts until i am lisensed and insured at age 18 and because of school i can't really take a ton of customers anyway. So for now, this truck seems to be perfect for that. Secondly, depending on how fast my client base keeps growing, i wanted to buy an older 2500 for a work truck and then use the dodge as my regular driver everywhere else as to save some gas. Third, i or no one else in my family has ever owned a dodge and i like them, this truck considering how good of shape its in and the price gives me an opportunity to try a different brand of truck that i never have before and then, when that time comes next year or whenever to buy that 2500, i can use my experience with this dodge to see if i want another o

BSDeality
06-18-2006, 10:00 AM
I had a dodge 1500, never again. The brakes are severely undersized for the capacity of the truck. Look around and count how many 1500 dodges you see with pushed in bumpers and cracked grills. I totalled a brand new car, right off the car lot with mine. I had the 5.2 which I know isn't the 5.9, but the 5.2 was pretty gutless with more than 2K lbs behind it. The transmission never knew what gear it wanted to be in and would constantly search. and it made a horrible clunking noise when you popped it into drive. The suspension was pretty weak, but then again it was a 1500. Also, you won't be saving any gas with the 5.9L that thing is a HOG.

Personally I would skip the 1500, buy a 2500 or 3500 longbed supercab. I have recently found my perfect combination for workhorse/play/light-duty work trucks. I bought an 05 Ford F350 ext cab/long bed diesel last year. I love the diesel, love the big ride, but it does come with its costs. 1) insurance is high, 2) registration is about $350/yr because it has commercial plates, 3) big motor, big maintenance expenses. I was driving it at the rate to put 32K miles on it in a calender year. The basic ford warranty 3yr/36K miles so I bought another truck to drive on the highway and run-around. I bought a 94 Toyota pickup this spring, 4 cylinder, 5spd, 4x4, short bed. This thing is a diamond in the rough. I use it for personal and work driving now. I get 21 mpg regardless how I drive it. where as my Ford seems to be averaging 12-13 since I only use it to haul now. I use it for estimates and for light duty work. How many times do you drive out to someones house in your big truck getting 12mpg and all you have with you is a hedge trimmer, tarp and rake? For me, there were more savings than just gas by getting a second, mini-truck (see below). I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a mini truck because I wasn't sure if it would work out, so I bought the toyota for $2900. I will definitely be keeping this thing around, Its easy to drive, easy to park (unlike my other truck), gets great gas mileage. registration is dirt cheap, my insurance actually decreased when I added the Toyota to my policy.

Think hard about the dodge, don't rush into it. I now know that I really like the mini-truck and big HD truck combo. I will keep this 94 and convert it to an alum. flatbed or keep my eyes peeled for a slightly newer one with power windows and AC.

lwcmattlifter
06-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Save your money for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Buy a car for personal transpot.

murray83
06-18-2006, 07:49 PM
had a dodge like yours only a sport when i got outta school believe me,that truck will be more than fine.

the only thing i hated was the gas and had to sell:(,i took that truck on sites i never thought i could and it passed my tests.pulling your gear its more than what u'd ever need as for plowing residentials again,more truck than u'd need i had a 7.5 on mine and did friends driveways,unless your doing large commercial a 1/2 is decent.

meathead1134
06-18-2006, 08:08 PM
run away, those trucks are known for tranny issues. I can pick up 1 of those trucks all day long cheap get at least a 3/4 ton

mcwlandscaping
06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know anymore, i think i may be rushing into things here, i think im going to work very hard this summer as well as working for another LCO here and save up some good $$ for a nice 3/4 ton and maybe if i do well, a new trailer (since i do need one!!) but, we'll see, i think i may pass on this though. Thanks for all the help guys, its a good feeling that im probably letting this go as i usually am very quick to rush into buying something!