PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake and light problem

NY Landscape Lighting
06-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Trailer is 3 months old enclosed
Truck had brake controller and new wiring harness put in.
First problem was the electric brakes weren't working. The controller had power but put no pressure on the brakes. Numbers weren't coming up on the controller either. I used the trailer a bit(small 6*12 not loaded).
Then my lights stopped working last night. only lights working were brakes and flashers. running lights are not working.
Any ideas, Thanks

kels
06-18-2006, 09:40 AM
have you tried tracing the problem with a 12 volt light tester. i am no expert on wiring however i have found and solved many problems with one.

BSDeality
06-18-2006, 11:14 AM
start with the ground and then trace the wires, make sure they aren't broken or ripped off their posts. I usually check the connecter next as the wires can get pulled out easily. It sounds like someone installed the brake controlller? I would take it back and let it be their problem.

stroker51
06-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I fix most of my own light problems and adjust brakes but if it is much more than that, it goes right back to the trailer place. Most trailer wiring problems go back to a ground issue. However my old 84 flatbed had a problem with the plug, only when i pulled the 24' Titan goosneck. If the plug wasn't wiggled in just right, the clearance/tail lights wouldnt work. I would try to simply wiggle the plug. The brake thing though, that would be going back to whoever installed it if it was me.

NY Landscape Lighting
06-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks Guys, I called the trailer company that installed controller and sold me the trailer, he said to check fuses in the truck, they were fine. Wiring on the plug and trailer is fine. I have to trace the wiring on the trucks plug. I was hoping to fix here rather than a 2 hr. drive each way back to trailer store. Being its only 3 months I should just bring it back.
Thanks Guys

hosejockey2002
06-19-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't want to throw rocks or point out the painfully obvious, but have you verified that your trailer actually does have electric brakes? I only say this because the vast majority of trailers that size do not, and yours likely would only if specially ordered that way.

NY Landscape Lighting
06-19-2006, 01:24 PM
The trailer does have electric brakes installed(required in NY). I just got off the phone with trailer dealer. There is a converter that they think burned out in the truck. Have to go back and install a heavier duty converter for the lighting. Still not sure about the brakes, they'll investigate.
Thanks Guys