PDA

View Full Version : Toro hydro belt woes

ProLawns
06-18-2006, 08:43 AM
The hydro belt on my Toro Z-master has only been lasting about a month and now it's starting to wear out even quicker. The belt starts to crack and large chunks are missing when I have to replace it. I've replaced the idler arm assy. and checked for any rough pulleys or obstructions and can't find anything wrong. I can replace it in about fifteen minutes but the belt costs $28. I tried a cheaper belt but it broke within two weeks. The belt also feels dried out and really stressed. Is it possible that the hydros are running hotter than normal causing extra stress on the belt? When the mower was new the belt lasted much longer.

Restrorob
06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
If you care to post the model and serial numbers I will take a look and see if I can find a possible cause for your belt problem.

ed2hess
06-19-2006, 08:04 PM
It is hard to tell if all those pulley are aligned but that might be the problem. The pulley on the engine can move around a little on Scag since it has a set screw that can come loose. I just damaged a hydro belt when the pulley on one of the hydro pumps come loose however the key and belt tension kept it on the hyrdro shaft until the belt finally broke. Then the pulley fell down. When replacing the hydro pulley I had a devil of a time getting it in alignment with the other pulleys. It is hard to get under these units.