PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Job

kemmer
06-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Rented this for a mulch job we did this weekend, worked out really well. Did a bit of grading at another job site

kemmer
06-18-2006, 10:47 AM
truck didnt sag a bit :weightlifter:

kemmer
06-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Back Hoe worked well for pulling out some stumps aswell

ALarsh
06-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Are those signs on your truck magnets?

How big was the mulch job?

jameson
06-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Gosh, musta been a whale of a mulch job - How many yards? - How much is it going to cost to repair the ruts in the lawn? New construction?

Anyhow, lets see some pics of the machine in action....!

kemmer
06-18-2006, 11:21 AM
it wasnt a huge job, 17 yards, but loading wheel barrels by hand is always a killer on time. we also had to grade out 6 yards of topsoil at another property.

jameson- NO RUTS!! :) i was really happy with it. established lawn too

ALarsh - yes they are magnets

LindblomRJ
06-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I am starting to think that a small loader back hoe like that would be handier than a skid loader, being able to travel across turf (if its not too wet) with out tearing up the whole world. The small back hoe for smaller projects. Have never used a mini ex.

I rented a similar unit a couple of weeks ago for a project, it sped the whole project up.

J&R Landscaping
06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
A mini backhoe like that is good. If you might not need saomething quite that big, check out a Toro Dingo compact skid. JMO

MysticLandscape
06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
How much did it cost to rent? Did it come with the trailer or did you have to borrow it or do you own it?

kemmer
06-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Yes it was very handy, im looking to buy something large like this in the future and im debating what would be more usefull, something like a kubota tractor/backhoe or a skid steer. For this job the tractor worked perfectly.

It came with the trailer which was nice because i had to move it from job to job, other places deliver which is a pain and costly.

This is the best part, its only $165 for a day $495 a week, its a steal. and i got it from a home depot thats near me.

Ive also rented a machine similar to a dingo. It worked ok for the application but it was slow. If this tractor could interchange attachments it would be amazing. also the mini skid couldnt lift alot. also it was a bit more expensive.

kemmer
06-19-2006, 08:20 AM
It was used on a small landscaping job.

Before
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54710&d=1144465500

After

mkwl
06-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes it was very handy, im looking to buy something large like this in the future and im debating what would be more usefull, something like a kubota tractor/backhoe or a skid steer. For this job the tractor worked perfectly.

It came with the trailer which was nice because i had to move it from job to job, other places deliver which is a pain and costly.

This is the best part, its only $165 for a day $495 a week, its a steal. and i got it from a home depot thats near me.

Ive also rented a machine similar to a dingo. It worked ok for the application but it was slow. If this tractor could interchange attachments it would be amazing. also the mini skid couldnt lift alot. also it was a bit more expensive.

That backhoe was only $425/week! Where'd you rent it for that price? Do you tow it with a ball or pintle hitch?

Thanks,
MKWL

mcwlandscaping
06-19-2006, 09:53 PM
I can rent those same things at one of my four local home depots, good deal for the rental on them IMO

kemmer
06-19-2006, 10:18 PM
ya they are a great deal, its pulled with a ball, but the only thing i dont like about home depot is that you have to have a back up plan if you dont get it, you can reserve the machines. I had a bobcat waiting if i didnt get the backhoe

Viseras lawn service
06-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I am starting to think that a small loader back hoe like that would be handier than a skid loader, being able to travel across turf (if its not too wet) with out tearing up the whole world. The small back hoe for smaller projects. Have never used a mini ex.

I rented a similar unit a couple of weeks ago for a project, it sped the whole project up.

it is possible to turn a skid steer on a well established lawn 360 degrees with out tearing the turf. you just have to be careful and move the sticks carefully, takes some practice, but it is possible.

We have used skids over lawns at condos who use gravel as a mulch:hammerhead:

kemmer
06-20-2006, 09:18 PM
its possible....but very time consuming, and if you mess up it rips

bigjeeping
06-21-2006, 06:47 AM
17 yds? c'mon you don't need that! I've already mulched 100's of yds this year and I'm sure our companies are about the same size. I send the guys out with wheelbarrels and they do fine. 40yd job this weekend = 6 guys with wheelbarrels. They'll have it done in under 5 hours. :weightlifter:

qualitylawnmanagement
06-21-2006, 01:08 PM
17 yds? c'mon you don't need that! I've already mulched 100's of yds this year and I'm sure our companies are about the same size. I send the guys out with wheelbarrels and they do fine. 40yd job this weekend = 6 guys with wheelbarrels. They'll have it done in under 5 hours. :weightlifter:

That's what I thought too.

kemmer
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
i know i know, it was a bit overkill, but we used it at a couple other jobs that day so it worked well.

lawnmaniac883
06-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone use a Boxer machine? I see one at my dealer every time I go there, looks like a dingo or like the machine above...just wondering how much they can actually do?