PDA

View Full Version : Scag decks

skurkp
06-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I have had my turf tiger at the dealer for a month and have had terrible results. I feel that I need to have one of the blade spindle assemblies replaced and have asked for them to look at my deck and give a response. The first mechanic told me that the idler pulleys are what needed replacement. Ok the price was $215, when I went to pick up the mower after having to call them daily, the belt continued to fall off. They kept the mower and after two more weeks they still have no answer. They have given me a loaner which is nice, but I want my mower. I spoke to the manager and asked him if I could just purchase a complete deck. The answer was yes, but two weeks later still no deck and no answers. Finally they told me that I could not purchase the complete deck as they had thought but that I would have to purchase a shell and then the assemblies for the shell. The cost was outrageous. Twice as much as they had quoted me for the completed deck. has anyone been able to purchase a complete deck assembly? The mower is in great shape and runs like new, I would like to not have to get rid of this unit because of the age. It is a 97 model. Lansdowne moody is the dealer that I am having problems with. I am going to purchase just the one blade shaft assembly and make the repair myself. I will need to replace the deck next season.

Dashunde
06-18-2006, 10:56 PM
By looking at your website, I'd figure you'd be big enough not to have to wrestle with a ornery 1997 mower... sheesh, many cars built in 97 are off of the road by now. ;)

How did you get this far with it working commercially?
How many hours are on it? :weightlifter:

Try getting ahold of your regional Scag rep. (call Scag directly, ask for your regional service rep.)
He will certainly know who to talk to and how to get a new deck for it.
You might get lucky and the rep gives you a good price on it, too.

Or.. try another dealer, yours may be too stoopid to figure out the problem.

Otherwise... get a new mower for crying-out-loud! :laugh:

Audrey
06-19-2006, 12:56 AM
The belt is falling off? Is there an alignment problem?

I think I would find another dealer. Six weeks is far too long, even with a loaner. It doesn't appear as they are motivated to fix your machine. Calling them daily? No way. I would think that after that amount of time they would, at the very least, have some course of action. It appears obvious that they simply don't know. Move on...

I would see what the next dealer says before laying out any more cash. If it turns out to be another guessing game, I would be on the phone to Scag. Get in touch with the rep. That's what he's there for. Be polite, but make sure he understands you're not a happy camper.

If you're going to replace it anyway next year.... maybe this year would be a better option than laying out big money for repairs? Unless it's not in the budget? We all have budgets! ;) :) There seems to be a good deal of bargaining right now with new unit sales. Do some legwork and see who needs to move a particular unit that makes your socks go up and down.

A

easycareacres
06-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Go buy x2 idler pullies and spindle fix your self in 1 hr. save $$$ many mower shops havent a glue.

C4chris70
06-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I had the same type of problem with my 52inch TT. It turned out that the weld broke on the gear box for the shaft drive causing the alignment to be out of whack. Take a look at the direct drive shaft, it may not be a problem with the deck at all.

ed2hess
06-21-2006, 10:43 PM
First of all the price for replacing those idlers is a little high....two are fixed on Cub and one idler with the spring. Why do you think you need a spindle? With the belt off you can rotate the blade and check it relative to the edge of the deck and if it run true...should be okay. And if there is no wobble or play it should be good. Is it possible the deck is cracked in area where the spindles attach? I

TLS
06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
'97 is the old classic style deck, right?

I'd just sell it and buy new! Deck design has come a long way in the past 9 years!

skurkp
06-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Purchased one spindle and installed, no more problem.