PDA

View Full Version : water from pools

MikeA
06-19-2006, 08:52 AM
My wife purchased a small/medium sized pool for my son to play in. We will fill it up on days that he uses it and dump it when he is done. Is it bad for the grass to dump that much water on it? I am not sure how many gallons it is but I know it is more than if I was watering the lawn

lawnstriper23
06-19-2006, 09:34 AM
We are in the same situation with the pool, but we aren't going to dump the whole pool out on the grass. Instead we are going to take 5 gallon buckets and watering cans to water the trees, flowers and all the other plants in the yard. I figure within two days we will have used a majority of the water from the pool so the rest can be dumped out onto the grass or even used to water some of the plants on the third day. Just a thought.......:usflag:

Raven386
06-19-2006, 10:07 AM
why not just get a pump and pump it into the street or someplace else?

dbear
06-19-2006, 10:42 AM
As far as the number of gallons, assuming it's a round pool and using feet for the units:

radius^2 x 3.14 x depth = cuft x 7.5 = # of gallons

dfischer
06-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Mike:

Since you're talking of filling and dumping rather casually, it would seem this is really fairly small. foot or so in height, 5-6' diameter, that kind of thing.

So, the water has no chemicals. It would depend on how often but no, I don't think doing this 2-3 times a week is a problem. Of course that's assuming it's dispersing fairly evenly. If it was all flowing one low spot it could in time encourage weeds.

2-3 times/week is what you're going to end up doing anyway. You'll quickly find the water is rather cold on fill-up, so I'm thinking you'll find yourself keeping it around for a day or two.

Don't dump it in the evening. Wet grass overnight can get fungices

tylermckee
06-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Put the pool on the highest point of your yard if you can. then you can just siphon the water out with a garden hose, just move the house around every once in a while so you arent flooding the same spot with the whole pool every time (or just run it into the street).